Butterfly in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put a Long-nosed butterfly in my QT last night, and he hasn't eaten yet (that I've seen).

When I go to feed them (I also have a Banggai Cardinal in there), the Banggai eats fine (brine shrimp/mysis/veggies), but the Butterfly's fin goes up and he doesn't go for the food at all.

Perhaps he gets it all when it's on the bottom afterwards, when I've gone away (it does all seem to have gone! The Banggai doesn't usually poke at the bottom like the Butterfly does).

Any tips/suggestions? :)

First id check on him. Get out of sight or whatever, and just watch from a distance. If you see him eating, thats good news. Eventually he will start to associate you with food, and become more friendly. Just make sure hes eating thats the important part!

If all else fails, you can try soaking the food in a little garlic juice. This can stimulate a feeding responce.

After how many days of him not eating should I be getting worried?

He really doesn't seem to like it in my QT - he's picking at the bottom/sides of the tank, presumably looking for food, but of course there isn't any there! Then when I put some food in, from what I can see (tonight) he sort of went for it, but not very positively. Then he started sticking his mouth out of the water.

I'm thinking of taking him out and putting him in my main tank, with lots of rock to graze on etc., and a nicer environment.

I know he's been in my LFS for at least a month, always looking well - never with his dorsal fin up, until I got him home and put him in my QT, when it's up now nearly all the time.

What do you guys think? Should I see if he lasts in QT, or give him a better chance in my main tank?

I'm going to try some food soaked in garlic juice on thurs, as well as some nori (if I can) put in for a couple of hours.

If that fails, I may consider putting him straight in my main tank. Lots of rock for him to graze on there, as well as a much nicer environment.

What does anyone think?

Be careful, his lack of eating could be from something you don't want in your main. Most LFS use the same water throughout their systems. With many animals coming in and out from the wild, many things could be brought in.
Just my opinion, but I would try the nori and the garlic juice first. If you have to put him in the main, at least do a good FW dip first. :wink:

Putting him in the main tank would really be a last resort. But then again, if he really isn't too good, as you said do I really want whatever he's got (if anything) transferred to my main tank?

What is involved in a FW dip? :)

Use R/O or declorinated water. Match the temp and the ph to his tank water, thats the most important thing. You can then put him in for 5 minutes or so as long as he does not get stressed. Signs of stress are, spitting water or trying to jump out of the bucket. Don't get nervous if he just lies there, that is normal. :wink: Adding an airstone would also help.

OK - so non-saltwater, basically. I don't have an airstone...

I don't have to acclimate him to the FW then? And do I have to acclimate him from the FW into my main tank when the dip is finished?

No you don't need to acclimate him to the dip.
Just make sure the ph and temp match.

Okie, and do I then need to acclimate him to my main tank, after the dip?

If you are using tank water in your qt tank, I don't think so. Just compare the temp and PH in your main and qt to make sure they are at least very close.

They are close - Salinity is about 0.001 higher in my QT though - 1.024 rather than 1.023 in my main tank.

Should I fill another smaller (10gal) tank with the dip water, or is that too much?

He's been in QT for 5 days (fine except not eating), and I'm considering doing the FW dip tonight, depending on how the rest of today goes.

If I do the dip and then put him in my main tank, what are the chances he'll introduce something into my main tank, after the dip?

MarkW19 said:
They are close - Salinity is about 0.001 higher in my QT though - 1.024 rather than 1.023 in my main tank.

Should I fill another smaller (10gal) tank with the dip water, or is that too much?

A bucket would work fine.
As far as intrducing something in your tank, it is hard to tell. That would be the chance you take with a shortened qt peroid.
The dip will help, but not assure.
Good luck!! :wink:

WELL...I just saw him eat in my QT for the first time today! He also seems a lot less frightened by my presence - he even nicked a bit of food from my banggai!!

I really want to put some Nori in my QT, but everywhere I've tried is out of stock. Will try a bit of lettuce tonight...

How important is Nori for him to "graze" on for a couple of hours each day, as long as he's eating a balanced diet (frozen food - veggies, mysis, gamma, brineshrimp)?

Anyway, (touch wood!) things may be looking up, looks like I may not need that dip after all :)

Great news!!! Keeping fingers crossed. :)
The nori would be nice, but if he's eating something else stay with it.
Excellent!! (y)

:)

It's just with him piking all day at the bottom/sides of the tank, that I think he might want something to "graze" on. Will not putting anything in there (except his daily feeding) do any harm?

Back
Top Bottom