Button Polyps not opening ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RISEANDFLOAT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently (9 days ago, the 29th of November) bought a small piece of rock with about 20 button polyps on it. But to this day, only about half of the polyps are actually opening?

Does anybody have a suggestion on what to do? The guy at the lfs told me I needed to feed them phytoplankton. I just thought he was trying to make another sale so I did not try it. Would feeding them open them up?

I have a 15G aquarium that has been setup for 11 months. It has a 65W CF light on it. I placed the rock halfway up in the tank in a low-flow area.

They can be at times tempramental and will not open for some reason , do check to see if any thing is irritating them such as sundial snails, nudibranches ,astrena stars ,crabs .
You can use a turkey baster to blow them off and see if that helps sometimes just getting ditrus on the mat will irritate them .
What do you have in your tank resident wise (fish ,inverts .)
What are your perameters ?
How old are your lights ?
You dont need to direct feed them they will pull stuff from the water colum. Some times mine will grab mysis or cyclopeeze or oyster eggs that get put in to feed the fish . But I dont direct feed them

How are your water parameters? Button polyps are not filter-feeders, per say, so the phyto is not the best option. Sadielynn offers some good suggestions for food. Keep in mind, they may still be adjusting to the new tank. After a couple of weeks they should be opening, if not, try a new position in the tank with different flow and lighting.

I agree that phyto is not needed. Maybe some mysis would be good. As the others asked what are your water parameters?

Back
Top Bottom