cabbage leather coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone help me figure out what "family" this coral is in? SPS. LPS, neither!? SOOOO much to learn :? :roll:

Cabbage leather (Sinularia dura) is a soft coral, it likes good waterflow, moderate to intense lighting. It is photosynthetic, it will filter feed from the water and is capable of some pretty intense chemical warfare. IMO, regular waterchanges and regular use of GAC are important when keeping any leathers, they have pretty noxious terpinoids ;) As with any leather, they will shed a waxy film regularly, more waterflow during that time will help rid them of the film and re-open more quickly.

Just to add to reefrunner's reply, my cabbage leather is under PC lighting 2x55 watts in a 14" deep tank and grows like a weed. It sits midway in the tank and doesn't have much color but I've not seen a S. dura that's been very colorfull.

Thanks to all. Mine is about 8.5 inches away from the lights and is a light purple color. I really like it. It has become alot more colorful in the short amount of time since I bought it. I do use carbon all the time. I'll have to look up terpinoids! Thank you both for the info. BTW, is a soft coral the same as a a SPS? I read all time allows me to! I'm trying :wink:

Back
Top Bottom