Calcium????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan0292002ca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking around grocery stores for pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) and have been unsuccessful. I heard it is used for hardening pickles? In all the grocery stores I've looked in, they don't sell calcium hydroxide to harden pickles but they do have something called "Pickle crisp" , the only ingredient is calcium chloride, so my question is what is the difference between calcium hydroxide and calcium chloride? and can I use the calcium chloride in my tank? thanks

CaCl will only affect the Ca levels. I would use caution buying soomething like that off the shelf as many are not suffieciently pure.

Calcium hydroxide (limewater) raises both alkalinity and Ca equally. There are many types of pickling lime available Ball's and Mrs. Wges being two of the more popular. Due to the high pH, the purity is less important as many impurities will precipitate out. Try asking for the brands mentioned, mabye you'll have better luck.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom