Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

likeaboss2645

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the cheapest way to add calcium to your tank? Is there a particular brand that is cheeper?

90 gal reef

Depends on your tank size, if you got a monster, you should go with bulk purchases.

Kent Turbo Calcium boost the calcium.
But you need test kits, and also you have to adjust Alk.

Kalkwasser in the topoff water work too. I guess Kalkwasser is calcium + alk.

What is the cheapest way to add calcium to your tank? Is there a particular brand that is cheeper?

90 gal reef
I went to home Depot and bought a 50 lb bag of calcium chloride ice melt. Its legitimately more calcium than I could hope to use in the next 10 years. It cost me $12 if I remember correctly.

I went to home Depot and bought a 50 lb bag of calcium chloride ice melt. Its legitimately more calcium than I could hope to use in the next 10 years. It cost me $12 if I remember correctly.

Whut ? How do we know if this calcium is pure Calcium Chloride ? It isn't aquarium grade calcium I guess...

I bought food grade calcium chloride. Then brought alk up with bicarb soda. Then maintain with kalkwasser! Easy and cheap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whut ? How do we know if this calcium is pure Calcium Chloride ? It isn't aquarium grade calcium I guess...
Thats just as amusing as buying food grade co2. If it was too impure to use I imagine I would have seen an effect from using it for the past 2 years.

Calcium I use a hot tub calcium booster (Eco Correct 80). Calcium chloride if memory serves me correct. $15 for 4 kg. lasts a longgg time.

Alkalanity is simply baking soda (3 tbsp for a 5 gal ATO every 5 days).

Magnesium was 8 parts Dow flakes (magnesium salt for ice melting) to 1 part Epsom salts. But the new IO RC don't seem to need mag help.

Yeah, CO2 is always food grade, even if it's for extinguisher purpose, it serve for the beer brewing purpose too.

But the ice melting calcium chloride... Means.... Made for put on the floor outside... Not specially in the aquarium.. This is why i'm skeptical :brows:

Calcium I use a hot tub calcium booster (Eco Correct 80). Calcium chloride if memory serves me correct. $15 for 4 kg. lasts a longgg time.

Alkalanity is simply baking soda (3 tbsp for a 5 gal ATO every 5 days).

Magnesium was 8 parts Dow flakes (magnesium salt for ice melting) to 1 part Epsom salts. But the new IO RC don't seem to need mag help.

dowflake is calcium. MAGflake is magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom