Calcium 400 - need B-Ionic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, following the advice to look for the first abrupt color change from pink to violet, using the Hagen calcium test, my tank seems to have 400.

The first time I did the test I thought it measured much higher, but I was probably going too far in trying to match the violet color.

Anyway, should I add the B-Ionic 2 part solution, and, if so, how often?

I had been adding it almost every day for the past 2-3 months.

Live rock, live sand, fish, cleaner shrimp, algae critters, mushrooms and polyps.

400 is what I would call a "normal" level. wheter or not to add B-Ionic will depend on what you have in your system. If you have a high coral population then it may be recomended.

I don't personally have a large number of corals (yet) so I don't dose for calcium and usualy get around 400ppm with my normal salt mix.

Can someone with more coral's either refute or backup my comment?

(for now 105man, I think you're ok with 400)

i like to keep mine at about 450 but i think 400 will do. if you get alot more corals in there i would definatly say jack it up to about 450-500 but for now your good.

Thanks...what I will do is dose it two or three times a week with B-Ionic 2 parts, and do a few more tests over the next couple of months...if it remains in the 400-500 range, I will just keep the routine going.

I have about 6 corals (all soft) now, and will probably wind up with a few more in the next several months.

that sounds like a good plan to me.

I have heard if you're dosing for CA, you should also test Alk to be sure you're not throwing the two out of balance.

Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom