calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been adding bionic for a couple of months now. I do forget every couple of days, but the level will not exceed 270. I have not been able to do water changes in the past couple of month. Is there a possibility that these two are related. any info is appreciated.

What test(s) do you use to measure your ca level and have you taken a sample to the lfs to test as well? Do you have corals in your tank? I use the Red Sea and Salifert Calcium Tests myself. If you don’t have any corals/inverts then adding ca is a waste of time IMO unless you plan on adding them soon. You really need to keep up with pwc at least biweekly or your fish/inverts will suffer. Just by doing that you wouldn’t even need to dose.

Test your magnesium levels if they are depleted and below 900 your calium level's will remain low even after repeated calcium dosing. Your Mag levels should be between 1,200 and 1,300 depending on your salinity. If this is your problem add mag and your calium levels will rise. However be careful as you add mag to keep your Alk levels inline because adding Mag will cause them to drop until you get all three levels in balance.

Additionally you may not be adding enough b-ionic to actually increase your overall Ca numbers. Have you tried adding more (of just the Ca component) to see what that did? Are you adding both Ca & Alk? Have you tested your alk and if so what is it?

Back
Top Bottom