Calcium deposits? on hood glass....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_art

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Out of all the weekly maint. tasks that need to be performed cleaning the hood glass didn't make it on my list for a while there. Now I have some calc deposits or something that will NOT come off with aquarium safe cleaner. Any homemade concoctions or other products that you guys use for stuff like this?

TIA,
Derek

Vinegar and water. Remove the glass, soak a cloth in the liquid and let it rest on the glass for a bit. Should wipe off easily after that.

Cheers
Steve

I was going to say the same thing but I refreshed the page to see what someone else might say first... I use vinegar to clean Soooo many things... cheaper than some household cleaners, and much better for the environment...

ClamKnuckle said:
when i use water or windex or what ever there is always a hazy film after it drys
Make sure the windex is sprayed into the clothe (preferabley in a different room) and not directly on the glass. The chem could get into the tank and poison the water.

Cheers
Steve

I have heard that some commercial glass cleaners eat away and eventually break the seal in those double pain windows making them not so useful anymore... It makes me wonder how many glass cleaners should be used on tanks... Now windex comes out with a glass cleaner with vinegar... why bother, vinegar alone is good enough. You could buy a cheap spray bottle and keep a %50 vinegar %50 water solution in it and just give the tank a good wipe down every now and then. I can't say how vinegar would effect every fish but I'm quite positive any stray splatter wouldn't hurt at all.

I just use a wet paper towel and then follow that with a dry paper towel or soft cloth. My 50 gallon acrylic is a different story I don't get as much spray or dripping on the front. I use Brillianize on a soft cloth. Does a great job and I guess it has been in my cabinet for about 7 years and it's still pretty full 8oz bottle. I just read it works on computer screens. :D When I do spray it on the tank sides I am careful to keep the cabinet door closed even though I have no sump.

Back
Top Bottom