Calcium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my sw tank for a couple of years and my calcium level is 450. I use RO/DI water and Oceanic salt. I helped a friend set up a sw tank 6 months ago. He is using RO/DI water and Oceanic salt. He tested his calcium and he says it is 800. Is that possible? I asked him to give me a sample so I can test it. What can I tell him to do to lower the calcium? Does he have to lower it? Right now his tank is FOWLR but he eventually wants to get coral and maybe an anemone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jim

It is my friends tank. He is going to give me a water sample so I can test it. He might have just did the test wrong. When I get the sample I will do all the tests and let you know. He just has a Fish only with Live Rock right now. He is not dosing with calcium. He is adding a marine buffer to get ph to 8.3 . Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Did you ever get those parameters? I'm very curious since I use Oceanic Salt as well.

What kind of substrate is he using? I had a bit of a low pH problem when I started my tank...but it stabilized after a few months after I added more aragonite substrate.

What's your alk and Mg readings with Oceanic? I tried a bucket and had low pH with each batch. That was when it first came out and became popular. Just wondering if they've balanced the mix.

Do you buy the 200 gal bucket and mixa small batch from that or do you buy a small box and mix the whole thing at once?

Wow. 800 is extremely high. Even 480 is high without dosing. I cannot get mine above 400 without dosing. I use Reef Crystals. 800 is likely a mistake and I'm anxious to here the results of the retest.

Back
Top Bottom