Calculating actual volume of water in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering today if everybody calculates the "actual" amount of water in there tank. By this I mean if you have a 100g tank, obvisously there is not 100g due to all the room sand/rock/etc take up. So, if you're doing a 20% water change, will you swap out 20gallons or a bit less figuring that 20% of the actual water may only be 15 gallons.

The same goes for dosing medication. If the directions say use 1 tablespoon for each 5 gallons, I"m assuming they mean the "actual" amount of water in the tank.

Anybody know of a rough way to calculate this, I swear there was a calculator somewhere but I cannot seem to find it :oops:

Morning jamal-188 it must be early for you the calculaors are at the top of the pages in the little bars it says calc just go up ^ to the top.
I looked everywhere for it too.

have a good one

I have not seen a calculator that will give you a water volume after displacment. Personally if I do a 20% water change I change out the amount based on zero displacement.

One thing thats hard to do is govern the amount that a rock of a given weight will displace. Since rocks have different dentisty a very dense rock will displace less than a very porus rock. SHOOT I have even see live rocks that are so porus they end up floating or having near nutral boyancy.

If you want to get relatively close, assume 10-15 lb/gallon for rock. You can also assume 8# for every 144 cubic inches of sand, or .6 gallons

so, if you have a 55 gallon tank with 3 inches of sand and 150# of rock, you can estimate that you have:

55gal - 7.2 gal (sand) - 10 gal (rock) = 37.8 gallons of saltwater.

This is just a rough estimate, but it will get you in the right ballpark.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom