Calupera in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if any one uses calupera in their main tank. Or if it is supposed to be in the fuge/sump. I am fighting an ongiong algea battle and was thinking of putting it in my main tank as I don't have either.

Would this stuff run rampant in my tank with a 40 watt n.o. bulb???
Will my fish enjoy it as a hideaway or food?

Any information on this type of treatment would be great.

TIA

you could definitly put it in your tank. if you have herbivores like tangs they will go crazy over it and should help keep in in check, otherwise regualr pruning does the trick.

the light im not sure about, you might actually need more for it to be able to photosynthesize productivly.

I used to have caul. in my fuge, it grew fine with 13w NO over it 24/7. It went sexual pretty quickly if the lights cycled tho'.

It all depends on what type of caluerpa, Not all will go sexual. The grape is the worst IMO about going sexual. I have blade in my 20 fuge with 2x20 watt no bulbs and I run the lights about 12 hrs a day. I have 1x20 on my 15 tall fuge and I run them 24/7. I would keep it up as high as you can and it will spread down if there is enough light for it go grow down.

It all depends on what type of caluerpa, Not all will go sexual. The grape is the worst IMO about going sexual. I have blade in my 20 fuge with 2x20 watt no bulbs and I run the lights about 12 hrs a day. I have 1x20 on my 15 tall fuge and I run them 24/7. I would keep it up as high as you can and it will spread down if there is enough light for it go grow down.

My sump has no lighting, and grape grows in the main tank. I don't have any fish that eat it, but it doesn't seem to grow too quickly. (10 months now, I have not had to trim it back). It hasn't gone sexual yet, while the Halimeda in the tank goes sexual pretty regularly.

I think the green makes a nice color addition to a tank which would be pretty pick/purple only.

Back
Top Bottom