Can a protien skimmer kill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xkentc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just installed a new Red Sea skimmer into my tank a few days ago. When I woke up this morning the waste container was overflowing into the tank and all but 4 out of 14 fish were dead. Could the skimmer kill them? It's a 55 gallon tank

A protein skimmer will actually flip out if something enters the system that isn't supposed to be there. Think of say windex being used to clean a nearby window entering the system. The skimmer will flip out and overflow itself like you described. I would be more likely to point the finger at something being in the tank, even something like vinegar could cause this, that ended your fish and overflowed your skimmer.

It should not matter, at least i would not think so. The skimmate being pulled came from the tank in the first place.

I guess if a concentrated glob hit the fish in the face... Then again, it takes a Red Sea skimmer a while to break in. You wouldn't see a whole lot of skimmate for a while. Maybe a light tea, but not the dark stuff.

Lastly, if the cup filled completely in one night, then it would have to be very watered down. I cannot speak on the size as I run an reef octopus. However, with all this said, I would venture to guess something else may be going on.

Might be one of those coincident things, just happened to happen when you added the skimmer but still unrelated. Either way, good luck, hope you get this figured out.

I'm thinking you having 14 fish in a 55 with no skimmer in the first place was the primary issue. Thats a huge bioload for a 55. I never go over 6 fish in my 55 and have a skimmer, a canister filter and do water changes weekly without fail. Your biosystem may just be equaling itself out right now...

Animal-Chin said:
I'm thinking you having 14 fish in a 55 with no skimmer in the first place was the primary issue. Thats a huge bioload for a 55. I never go over 6 fish in my 55 and have a skimmer, a canister filter and do water changes weekly without fail. Your biosystem may just be equaling itself out right now...

All the fish in the tank except 2 were small totall of 4 cardinals, 4 puffers, 1 chromis, 3 clowns and a tomini tang and a one spotted angle

CorallineAlgae said:
Was it a used skimmer? That could explain it.

Yes it was a used one that my mom gave me it hasn't been used for about 2 years

Xkentc said:
Yes it was a used one that my mom gave me it hasn't been used for about 2 years

Ask her if she ever ran it through the dishwasher or washed it with dish soap. Soap residue would cause it to overflow the collection cup and it could definitely harm the fish. Don't blame her or anything, even if she did wash it. It still could be something else.

Xkentc said:
All the fish in the tank except 2 were small totall of 4 cardinals, 4 puffers, 1 chromis, 3 clowns and a tomini tang and a one spotted angle

That is a lot, no puffers (unless of the Toby family) should be in a 55 much less any tangs.

Unless the skimmer had left over soap or something, they can't inject anything into the system that wasn't there already except air. Skimmers that dump to a drain can accidentally lower the salinity if you have a auto top off system. Good reason to not dump to a drain.

Back
Top Bottom