Can an urchin kill????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Oh man guys today is a sad day for me. My 7 yr old just came and told me our Dorie is dead.(blue tang) She was fine yesterday no problems eating like the little piggie she is and swimming around. One of my pincushion urchin had her in its evil spines! Do you think its possible that it killed her? She slept on top of the clip for the powerhead maybe the urchin grabbed her and she couldn't get free? I didn't think it was possible but right after I got her out and free of the urchin the same urchin went and picked up a hermit crab and tried making off with it. Are urchins evil or and I just grasping at straws as she was the familys favorite fish! Thanks in advance! :cry:

well one thing i have found is you are trying to make an ocean in your house, and some thing dont work out or have to get there own food.but as for an urchin to kill i dont htink it could nd i dont see why it would. they dont eat fish. the spikes are for protection. what is your water levels at? how long have you had him (the fish) is there any thing else in the tank? what size tank is it.

Sue, I'm so sorry. :(
As for the Urchin, I doubt it. I have 4 and never seen any aggression. I have seen them "clean up" a dead crab. The fish would be way too fast. Also Urchins like to cover themselves. Not to be to morbid, but it probably picked up the fish for this purpose.
Once again sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom