can anyone think of a reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
that we should not put a mirror on the back of our tank?

Might make any fish more aggressive.
boxing.gif

Hi alrmc4,

If it is something that you would possibly like... then do it. Life's too short.

Set it up so that it isn't permanent (in case you change your mind) then see how you like it, see how your fish like it....
You can always change it, when you come up with a new idea.

I had a 75g oceanic SW FO for along time with a mirror afixed to the back glass and I never had a problem, but I can see how some fish might go bonkers trying to fight themselves.

very good thoughts thanks :) love your idea targaboy78 ,the only problem is once it is set we won't be able to get behind it to paint it if we change our minds :idea: maybe i will torment the fish i have in the other tank and try it out on them :wink:

reefrunner did you have any odd problems like excess algae because of the reflected light? why did you take it down? thanks

What I did for the back of my tank was use a piece of 1/4 plywood, cut to the size of the back, bought some dark green patterned self-stick floor tiles and adhered them to the wood. This setup then can slide behind the tank from one side and fits just right between the hood and the stand. It seems to reason that you could try to use some reflective material one one side and if it isn't what you want or the fish freak, slide it out and use another color till you find one you like.

pipermurphy -you are a genius hubby and i both love the idea now we may not need marriage counseling :rainbow1:

I had mirror on the back of my 150. What we did was take the "door mirrors" that you can get at walmart for 5.99 each, took two of them and got some velcro. Put the velcro on each corner, cut small enough so that it stayed where the tank seems were, you never saw it and the meet was perfect between the two mirrors.
They were layed left to right and then the next one just above it. This way, we could take them off to periodically clean the glass...no matter how hard you try, you WILL get water on the back glass.

No fish that Ihad ever gave it a second look.

oh yeah, forgot one important part, we took them out of the cheapo frame they were in.

wow thanks for sharing that terrific idea...2 clever for words!!! :!:

i both love the idea now we may not need marriage counseling

LMAO, my wife and I agreeing on something would be a sign, we did need counselling

I didn't take it down, the mirror was still on it when I sold the tank.

Back
Top Bottom