Can different types of shrimp coexist in a small tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a 35 gallon reef tank with some corals and a cleaner shrimp and two percula clowns. I would to finish off the tank by purchasing a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp, but I am worried that the cleaner shrimp might attack and/or kill the pistol shrimp. About a year ago I had added a flame shrimp to the tank and the cleaner shrimp really seemed to hate him (probably territorial reasons). The cleaner shrimp continued to pester the flame shrimp until the flame shrimp hid under a cave. Eventually the flame shrimp died. I'd love to be able to keep a pistol shrimp and watchman goby, but not if it means something is going to die. Does anyone think I would have a problem putting a pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby in a 35 gallon tank that also houses a cleaner shrimp?

I don't think my cleaner shrimp has ever found my pistol shrimp. I did have the pistol first, however (hitchhiker). My shrimp goby has yet to find the pistol either, near as I can tell.
I've never read of cleaner shrimp messing with anything. Maybe yours is just mean. :lol:

Hmmm. It sounds like there shouldn't be a problem, but as Gatorfreak pointed out, maybe my cleaner shrimp is just plain mean. I'm wondering if it could be a territorial issue. I've had the cleaner shrimp for over 3 years now and I don't think he's grasped the concept of sharing. I feel somewhat relieved to hear that others have kept multiple shrimp in small tanks.

Back
Top Bottom