Can I add corals ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've recently bought a 20g hightech setup. I have a 50-90g HOB Skimmer, a 600GPH powerhead and 20 pounds LR and 20 pounds LS. I have 60w LED lighting. (R420R 60w 16000K°)

I waited 2 weeks the first week before adding fishs, no ammonia spike. I added two clowhfish, I waited 10 days, no more ammonia/trites. I did a 25% water change just before I have put the clownfish.

Do you think I'm ready to put a frogspawn frag and a zoa ?

Just remember to go slow. If you add a frogspawn and a zoa leave it at that for a couple of weeks and just watch what happens. If the coral is opening proper and keeping its color you're good to go with more. I remember when I had a new tank I got all excited and bought like 6 colonies of coral one weekend. It was too much for the system to handle and I ended up losing some.

Just remember to go slow. If you add a frogspawn and a zoa leave it at that for a couple of weeks and just watch what happens. If the coral is opening proper and keeping its color you're good to go with more. I remember when I had a new tank I got all excited and bought like 6 colonies of coral one weekend. It was too much for the system to handle and I ended up losing some.

As it is something expensive, I don't want to harm/kill anything, that's why I want your advice. I tend to be impatient, but the initial cost of the tank is teaching me patiences lessons.

I'll do as you said, put 2 corals then wait for what's going. What's the worse that could happen except parasites/malwares/trojans ?? If they open and no mini-cycle occur, it's ok ? I'll buy frogspawn from a long time established tank.

The zoa will be buy at LFS, wich contains few aiptaisia and tube worms. Should I do something special to deal with this before I put them in the tank ? I don't have SW quarantine setup, I plan this 20g hightech will become my QT when I'll buy a 60g+ in 3 years.

Oh pests are a whole other story. If you're worried about those I'd grab some coral dip. It kills most of the critters before you put the coral in the tank.

I'm talking more like if some of your parameters are off and the coral wont thrive in your tank. You're most likely fine but its always best, especially when starting out to start slow and work up.

The mesurements I got last weeks were:
KH: 10dKH°
Ca: 350 ppm (I planned to add calcium right before adding corals)
Mg: 1400 ppm

Tested with Red Sea tests.

I bought two corals frags. One is a coral that I don't know, but the guy at the LFS told me over time this frag will become awesome, and I bought a zoa. For some reasons that I don't know, some parts don't open.

That's my first experience with corals, and I think I didn't care enought (handling), I shocked some parts on the glass and LR... Do you think the not opened part will die ? I did a 10 min dip (Seachem Reef Dip) double dose. I saw a lot of mini animals like worms/snails getting out of this frag.

My corals look like this, what's your opinion? And does anybody know the ID of the "tree like" frag, OG/green, thanks !

230023DSC04609.jpg

704363DSC04606.jpg

And I found white exacly the same thing on this video, does anobody know if it's harmfull/benefits? I see this thing only in the night, and when I put a flashlight on it, it hide in the tiny hole... White thing...

The green tree is a birdnest coral or seriatopora guttatus. A small polyp stony coral that requires high lighting and flow. Make sure to keep alkalinity constant. It grows quickly once it starts to take off. Yours doesn't look fully open yet

Back
Top Bottom