Can I ask a total noob question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I see so many of the established tanks with those big rocks covered in various zoos. So my question is, if I am starting from a frag of 10-30 heads of zoos, approximately how long will it take a rock to be covered like that?? Just assuming average growth, are we talking a year? 3 years? 5? More? I know patience is key, but just wondering what kind of time frame I'm looking at till some of this stuff grows out. :)

I started with 5 heads a year later there's over 100, spot feed 2x a week and they grow like weeds (y)

Beengirl said:
I see so many of the established tanks with those big rocks covered in various zoos. So my question is, if I am starting from a frag of 10-30 heads of zoos, approximately how long will it take a rock to be covered like that?? Just assuming average growth, are we talking a year? 3 years? 5? More? I know patience is key, but just wondering what kind of time frame I'm looking at till some of this stuff grows out. :)

Ya they grow pretty rapidly they could double in number each month

Mine are growing slowly but I would like it to be a bit faster, how did you spot feed and what did you feed?

Keep in mind, some zoas grow much faster than others. There is no hard number for propagation, since there are literally hundreds of different kinds. I have some that almost seem to pop a new head nearly every few days, and I've got one that started off as two polyps a month ago, and I now have three...... That's what makes some of them so expensive, since you get so few of them to frag.
As far as spot feeding, I only feed the corals that actively eat (LPS & palys). IMO, spot feeding zoas is just adding far too many nutrients to your system for the little benefit gained....

Cut a two liter bottle in half use the top like an inverted funnel place it over the coral and use a turkey baster to squirt a bit of marine snow in it the zoa's will close when they feed

Back
Top Bottom