Can i cycle a tank with a grouper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly, this is just animal cruelty. You said you knew you got it too soon...... you were right.

Sad when you see inexperinced people doing this, we need to remember though we all started of somewhere so we cant shout at this poor guy. Let this be a lesson to all who are new do not put a fish in your tank till you have cycled it and to be honest dont put one in till youve checked its okay with people on here. We have nothing to gain on giving you false information but as sad as it is lfs do. Do your reasearch !

and for the poor fishes sake take him back as sooon as possible hes not going to last much longer.

ilostnemo I used to live there, its not all that common but it certainly is advice given out in many lfs', it's also quite common to hear "let it sit for two weeks and come back".

i took the grouper back had him checked out he is fine my tank is cycled according to the marine biologist at the local aquarium supply store and it just got to cold in the tank last night he is fine now i upgraded a few things and i have better heating now

GREAT to hear. You did the right thing. If you can get your LFS to hold him maybe you can get him back when you upgrade!!!! :D. DONT GET HIM BEFORE THE 125 IS UP AND RUNNING THO. He is Far to large for a 20g even at that size. I hope you can get him back. Grouper are AMAZING fish and the honeycomb grouper is my personal fav. of all the fish I have. Good Luck with your tanks, and feel free to ask ANY questions. BTW, I was misinformed also and cycled the tank with chromis, all died, I feel so bad now. Sadly some of us have to learn the hard way.

very happy the fish can live a happy life! there are plenty of fish you can have in your 20 to make it exciting

nohika said:
Er...to me it sounds like the OP still has the fish.

Agreed

He took the fish to get"checked" was told everything was ok and seems he brought the fish back home bc he was told the tank was cycled. I may feel bad for the fish but if people don't want to listen to sound advice it's there money they are wasting if he wants to waste money on killing fish bc he doesn't want to listen then honestly nothing can be done until he wises up and learns from his mistakes.

I don't have the fish I'm waiting till the 125 I exchanged him for two clown fish I'm picking up later remember y'all when you assume ;)

Jawaits said:
I don't have the fish I'm waiting till the 125 I exchanged him for two clown fish I'm picking up later remember y'all when you assume ;)

Wasn't assuming, just saying that to me (and others) what you said made it sound like you still had the fish.

So where are you putting those clownfish?! I thought ur tank wasn't cycled yet o_O

When did you start your tank? There's no way it's cycled in a day or two!

that's not true. you can't cycle a tank in a day. not unless you took live rock from an existing tank that was already cycled, and only exposed it to air for a very short time. 30 minutes out of the tank is enough to kill off a substantial amount of life.

that "marine biologist" was telling stories if they told you your tank is cycled.

i agree with you fully on the time to kill off bacteria, it dies rapidly without proper living conditions, and i was reffering to the use of an abundance of lr.

Has anyone asked the op if he has a test kit himself or is planning on getting one? because anyone with a tank should.

yes, but it should be said that there is a world of difference between using live rock from the store and live rock that is completely cycled from someone's tank. using live rock from the fish store you'll have a definite cycle and it's unsafe to add any livestock during this time.

Back
Top Bottom