Can I have "too much" coralline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaotic_reefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started yet another reef tank, seems to be an addiction at this point lol.

The purple coralline algae is nuts in my tanks, I love the greener bioluminescent algae mixture but the purple totally takes over on my rock, I know it's probably not a bad thing, but am I giving it too much light or something? I generally turn my light on each morning before work at about 7am and I shut it off around 6-8 pm each day, I keep asking different blogs and such and I get mixed answers, a lot of them say no more than 8 hours, some say 12 on 12 off.
Does anyone have any opinions, I'd appreciate any helpful hits and tips.

Coraline growth is a sign of good things, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Can it become a nuisance? Yes, it sure can. When it grows over powerheads and such and you have to clean and scrape it off...you end up not liking it so much.
When it comes to lighting times, I find that 10 hours is the sweet spot that has worked well for me. If that is something that is a struggle to get set to do manually, you can get a simple timer for a dollar so you can set it to come on and turn off at specific times.

Thank you, is there any way I can get the bright green almost glowing algae, if that makes sense lol, thanks in advance

a lot of people wish they had it . In my very first tank I had tons I loved it red,orange,yellow,purple all sorts of colors , I got lucky in that tank it never got on my glass or power heads ,

but some can't stand it it gets on glass power heads ect . it shows your calcium levels are good corals should love that . My biggest complaint now I'm constantly scraping the glass :D

I have the same issue, I know it's healthy, I just wish the other colors would stick around, purple seems to take over fast

Back
Top Bottom