Can I keep a lobster from the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
User said:
Wow I did not know their limbs grow back! thats insane

And yeah when people harvest stone crab theyll pop one claw off and toss it back to grow back so it can live

tarpon said:
Oh my goodness. Blue crab are freaking demons! Those things are so hardcore. I catch them regularly in crab traps and those things are meaaann and tough. Well catch stone crab and they'll just be like chillin. And the blue crab will be running around and swiping at you claws out in defensive position. You try to go around the back but they don't let their back turned to you and keep you in front of them. Then when you get close they snap at you! Gotta have respect.

I know exactly what you mean! I've caught blue crabs with a fishing line (no joke) and it's a pain to get a hold of.

Its a good thing blue crabs are delicious lol. Never caught stone crabs but I used to catch blue crabs with pieces of chicken on a string a long time ago lol in the Chesapeake Bay

slitherbomb said:
I know exactly what you mean! I've caught blue crabs with a fishing line (no joke) and it's a pain to get a hold of.

Haha yeah. Its kinda scary to pick them up. They're really pretty tho. Brilliant blue claws. Turn nice and red when boiled

User said:
Its a good thing blue crabs are delicious lol. Never caught stone crabs but I used to catch blue crabs with pieces of chicken on a string a long time ago lol in the Chesapeake Bay

Stone crabs are hard as rock. I couldn't Pierce its shell with a hunting knife. Had to flip it over on its belly.

Haha this is kind of getting off topic

So I did some research. Lobsters at the store are actually being prepped to be eaten. They are kept at a temp of 40 to 70 F. So no your fish cant survive this. The tanks are actually slowing them down so they dont "fight" and are slow when pulled out. They live in different temp all over the world and are brought down to the temp for commercial sales. So basically you would have to catch one from ocean to keep in your tank. The ones from the store are already being basically stored like meat in the meat dept. But google it. There is actually many universitys that are studying lobsters and how to make them live longer in those storage tanks.

Wait if you brought the temp back up slowly would they still die?

While I do get a chuckle out of this thread, I just have to ask one thing......

Why would you want a regular lobster?

It would make quite an interesting dinner conversation lol "why arent we eating that tonight?"

I went to my LFS this afternoon and saw a tiny tank with a live blue crab in it. I thought it was his lunch or maybe even dinner. I guess some people actually buy them as pets.

Well I guess if you ever get bored with it..well..

I'm not saying anything bad about the question, just curious. My b/f is always saying when my shrimp get big enough he's gonna eat em but in this case you could literally do that. LOL

Also what would you feed a captive lobster like that? I'd have no idea...

lol probably pieces of cut bait or something. It would probably get expensive

those lobsters from the store are from colder temps like off the coast of maine. they will not survive in tropical temps. as said on the first page, you will need a large tank, and a large chiller. that alone will be expensive to run. american lobsters get to be over 2 feet long, and weigh upwards of 20+ pounds.
here's how cold the water they live in is-
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Back
Top Bottom