Can I keep a lobster from the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright thanks. My LFS gets them in all that time at around 8in. MAy have to get one. Would they benefit the tank in any way? Also, what crabs could I get? Would I be able to keep a blue crab? Im not sure what type it was but while in loggerhead park (turtle rescue place) I saw these 2 crabs that were about 2in long and tan..... they were really cool. Would the blue crab kill my fish?

crister13 said:
Alright thanks. My LFS gets them in all that time at around 8in. MAy have to get one. Would they benefit the tank in any way? Also, what crabs could I get? Would I be able to keep a blue crab? Im not sure what type it was but while in loggerhead park (turtle rescue place) I saw these 2 crabs that were about 2in long and tan..... they were really cool. Would the blue crab kill my fish?

No benefits really, just cool to watch. The lobster might also kill any other crab you put inside, and may eat small fish.

My trigger and all of my order is coming tomorrow! I think that anything smaller than it would be fair game. I've never had one though so I can't say for sure. My friend had his lobster with a French angel, queen angel, and some other things, but they were a lot bigger.

Ok. May get one at lik 6" if I can find one. Start a thread tomorrow with pics of new trigger!!!!!

Yeah, I was planning on doing a picture thread about everything I get, which is a lot. It'll also say my experience with aquacon

Alright. I see one on LA for sale at 3-5". I could request a 5" one. Hope fully I will get him............ ill post a thread too. Maybe my bday present since im only 12......... haha.

I'll just add my two cents: I did research on lobsters (lobster genetics and diet) for a summer. They are VERY MESSY, need lots of oxygen in their water, and if it gets too warm (past 60 degrees) they will not do well---> one reason is because warmer water holds less oxygen. We think that is why soft shell disease affects lobsters mostly south of Massachusetts- the water is warmer and whatever the infecting agent is has a better chance at surviving there than in the colder waters of the Northeast.

But a really good and varied diet of spirulina and shrimp and brine can keep them going. They also like herring and krill!

And yeah they will totally eat your fish. They are not exactly the most lovable pets either. They are generally shy. A nice idea though!

Ill probably do the spiny for my bday...... they dont get as big and can tolerate warmer water. Good thing!!!!!!

I'll just add my two cents: I did research on lobsters (lobster genetics and diet) for a summer. They are VERY MESSY, need lots of oxygen in their water, and if it gets too warm (past 60 degrees) they will not do well---> one reason is because warmer water holds less oxygen. We think that is why soft shell disease affects lobsters mostly south of Massachusetts- the water is warmer and whatever the infecting agent is has a better chance at surviving there than in the colder waters of the Northeast.

But a really good and varied diet of spirulina and shrimp and brine can keep them going. They also like herring and krill!

And yeah they will totally eat your fish. They are not exactly the most lovable pets either. They are generally shy. A nice idea though!

ooo I spoke too soon; I see you were talking about spiny lobsters! I mean the American Lobster ;)
I'll be following this thread!

Back
Top Bottom