Can I keep a lobster from the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if I could get a live lobster from the grocery store and keep it as a pet. Would I take the rubber bands off of the claws or not? Would I kill my fish or get killed? They're about 1 foot long.

tarpon said:
Lol this is hilarious

Lol, Every time I go to the grocery store I try to talk my Mom into getting one. Never thought someone would make a thread about it lol.

They are a very interesting animal. One of the most popular things at the shop was a huge female blue crayfish we had. A large lobster can be a very interesting pet.

If he kills any fish just cook him!
Mmmm
I'm sure there's more interesting varietys you could buy at a fish store though.

Fishguy2727 said:
They are a very interesting animal. One of the most popular things at the shop was a huge female blue crayfish we had. A large lobster can be a very interesting pet.

What size tank would you need for one?

They are cold water. So you would need a huge chiller. I would say at least a 100g tank. But probably more. I have a friend that has a blue crab in his fowlr tank. It is mean as can be.

What about a blue crab from the store? I already have 50 littleneck clams in m tank from the store..... haha :D

wow that would be cool if you could have one. I would like a blue crab tank.

My teacher has a blue crab in a tank. He bought it from a bait shop, and came with it's claws taken off. They're not hard to keep.

Would it kill my fish? Mt fish are all under 6". And the grabs at wegmans are about the same size across. What temp do they need?

My teacher has a blue crab in a tank. He bought it from a bait shop, and came with it's claws taken off. They're not hard to keep.

How does it eat? I wonder if I could keep one of those eels my grocery store has...or a stone crab..

Oh my goodness. Blue crab are freaking demons! Those things are so hardcore. I catch them regularly in crab traps and those things are meaaann and tough. Well catch stone crab and they'll just be like chillin. And the blue crab will be running around and swiping at you claws out in defensive position. You try to go around the back but they don't let their back turned to you and keep you in front of them. Then when you get close they snap at you! Gotta have respect.

Back
Top Bottom