Can I run my tank w/out a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTrash

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed that the hoses from my canister filter are kinked right where they attach to the filter itself. Basically, the shelf underneath my tank is too short and the water flow must be rather diminished. Now, after doing some reading, I'm wondering if I could just remove the filter without any issues. I have a 28 g tank w/ 30 lbs live rock and 20 lbs of aragonite. An in-tank protein skimmer (which works fabulously!), three fish, some shrimp, crabs and snails, and, of course, corals (softies mostly). All levels are 0, except for nitrates which are at 5. I do 7 g. water changes every week.

My biggest worry is that I remove the filter and get an ammonia spike that would kill my fish and corals.

I wouldnt try it, it could get messy try a hob filter for a tank that size there pretty cheap

Of course you can. All the advice that we get over this side of the the pond is NO FILTERS on SW tanks. Your live rock and skimmer are your filters. I run a hang on back without any filtration media, I just use it for my GAC and phosphate remover.

Google 'Berlin method'

Ooooh, the G threw me off :). I looked it up and I guess it makes sense, so I'll get a HOB filter tomorrow for those two things. Do I need to get one rated for a bigger tank?

EriksFish315 said:
You need some sort Of filtration. One rated for a Bigger tank will to hurt.

The live rock is the filtration. A box with some floss may cut it in fresh, but in salt where water quality is everything, that will just harbour junk until it rots. It's why I run BB, manual removal of detritus once a week and no sand or filters storing up nutrients.

Well, I have biological filtration from the rocks and sand, and the protein skimmer helps too. Pretty sure I just have nitrates growing in my canister filter (which I clean every other week).

Canister filters usually become nitrate factories! You are better off without it in my opinion unless you clean it about every 2 weeks

You'll need some sort of mechanical filtration as well. Live rock doesn't take care of poop, uneaten food, and other things.

bavass said:
Canister filters usually become nitrate factories! You are better off without it in my opinion unless you clean it about every 2 weeks

I do clean it every two weeks, but it is a pain. Besides, with the hoses kinked a lot my flow rate must be terrible.

Ibrahim said:
You'll need some sort of mechanical filtration as well. Live rock doesn't take care of poop, uneaten food, and other things.

I know :) the protein skimmer is pulling a lot of solid waste out, though. Plus I vacuum substrate and rocks when I do the pwc.

Leighton79 said:
The live rock is the filtration. A box with some floss may cut it in fresh, but in salt where water quality is everything, that will just harbour junk until it rots. It's why I run BB, manual removal of detritus once a week and no sand or filters storing up nutrients.

So you have no substrate?

TeamTrash said:
So you have no substrate?

No, I have no substrate. Anything that the skimmer doesn't pull out I manually remove when I do my weekly water change. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a foot of sand in your tank to keep a reef....

img_1801192_0_87867caef00412d0509938bcd5106cf3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom