Can I squeeze in one more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my eye on a fish for a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if I can squeeze one more fish in my tank.

Current occupants-
2 clown fish
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
1 mondo cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
buckets of various soft and LPS corals

Would adding another fish to this system overtax it?

Thank you!

In regards to the yellow tang.......actually, I do have some concerns over it. My yellow tang is somewhat of a brute. He tolerates the hippo tang and no longer picks on him. He doesn't bother the clown fish at all. If this is not a good match (the yellow tang and kole tang) please mention it.

Thanks!

I would not add anymore tangs to a 72. The Kole would be a well-suited fish if you did not have the other two. Look into a purple firefish, roayal gramma or sixline wrasse.

purple firefish, roayal gramma or sixline wrasse.

I guess the easiest solution is to get a bigger tank.....but since my husband promptly veto-ed that idea I will have to re-think this.

I do appreciate all of the info and believe I will not go with the kole....instead I might look into the royal gramma.

I had a beautiful kole tang selected months ago and even had the lfs hold him in qt....but then I saw the hippo tang and decided to change my mind (and deal with the increased possibility of ick).

I'm going to have to figure out a way to sneak in another tank... :devilish:

You will not be disapointed. The royal gramma is one of my favorite fish. I love the color and how the purple fades to yellow. It adds wonderful movement and color to the SW tank. It will be able to hold its own with the established fish as well.

I had a YT and a Kole tang for several yrs but I do agree that that three tangs in a 72 will be too much. How about a small school of Blue-green Chromis.

melosu58 said:
How about a small school of Blue-green Chromis.

(y)

I have three in my QT now. They're really more fun to watch than I realized! Somewhere I saw them described as "aqua poodles"! It's a good analogy! (Except they're not yippy and under your feet all the time.)

Ok, I did go look at some nice royal gramma's but I then spotted a longnosed hawkfish. Would the hawkfish work in place of the royal gramma?

You may have some issues with the hawkfish and inverts...mainly, you inverts may become dinner for the hakfish. The royal gramma is a better option and a wonderful fish.

Back
Top Bottom