Can I toss the Emperor 400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
As a recap, I am running a Emperor 400 with the "floss" filters removed and just plain carbon in the baskets, nothing else. For total water movement I have the Emp and 2 Maxi Jet 1200's . Tuesday my Aqua C Remoa with skimmer box arrives. Thinking on tossing the Emp 400 and just using the skimmer... I change the carbon every 3 weeks in the Emp. What would I lose by doing this? Just fine water polishing? Should I use the "floss" filters and keep the Aqua C Remora as well? Should I just stop asking and see what happens if I lose the Emp 400 and go with the skimmer for a week and see what happens?

Thanks...
Rich

No you don't toss it......You send it to me. :D

PS. I am a former volunteer FF!

If I was not called into the ministry, I would most def. be in emergency service.

Keep up the good work!

revhtree said:
No you don't toss it......You send it to me. :D

PS. I am a former volunteer FF!

If I was not called into the ministry, I would most def. be in emergency service.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks !
And if I have no need for it I just may send it away If I can not find a use.. But we have a 55 @ work that I think needs it.. If not it's yours !

Wow!! I was kinda of kidding. But Put me first on the list if it's not needed anywhere else. I'll send a Paid postage package.

Thanks!!! :)

Dude if you don't want it I'll take it. I can use it when I set up my new cichlid tank. You want even have to ship it since we work together.

Dude if you don't want it I'll take it. I can use it when I set up my new cichlid tank. You want even have to ship it since we work together.

I thought about losing the emp 280 on my 29, but I like being able to use carbon for 2-3 weeks a month and also the floss comes in handy after cleaning the lr w/ a turkey baster. The draw back, for me atleast, is the micro-bubbles....

How do you use the carbon with this type of filter. As you can see by my signature I have one, and I also have some carbon. Should I use it? How? and Why?

There is a basket in the back of the filter. If I am not mistaken there are two baskets on the 400. Place any media you like in the basket, though it is recommended to use a mesh bag for carbon, i makes clean up a lot easier and keeps small pieces of carbon from falling in the bottom.

R-

Oh, and Firefighter, I would lose it and recommend getting a sump for your other equiment. If not a sump, then only use it when you want to run carbon.

Granular Activated Carbon is a water polisher. In layman's terms it pulls yucky stuff out of the water by acting as a magnetic sponge, if you will. Carbon pulls out some dissovled organics, some metals, tannins (mainly freshwater), making your water crystal clear. In the reef it can remove the byproducts of coral chemical warfare.

HTH,
R-

I change mine weekly, with corals/anemones IMO carbon is an important part of controlling chemical warfare. If not changed often (opinions vary from once a week to once a month) it will lose it effectiveness and could start adding nitrates to your tank. The microscopic pores that trap the "yucky stuff" :lol: become cloggged.

revhtree said:
How do you use the carbon with this type of filter. As you can see by my signature I have one, and I also have some carbon. Should I use it? How? and Why?

There are 2 grey baskets, just fill one half, pop the lid on and replace once a month !

sumphead said:
Oh, and Firefighter, I would lose it and recommend getting a sump for your other equiment. If not a sump, then only use it when you want to run carbon.

Adding a fure in a few months.. gotta save up for a under the tank model... And then I gotta figure a way to get the Aqua C to go into the sump...

Back
Top Bottom