can mantis shrimp break glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take a spring loaded center punch used to located holes in steel and try it on the toughest tempered glass window. The one you cant break with a hammer. It will shatter the window with practically no effort because the force is concentrated to a pin point. If a stomatopod can exert 200 pounds of force to a tiny point, it will break glass...period. If the tank is very thick, it might withstand more. The comparison about walking on the glass is not appropriate here because of the concentration of the force. Engineering 101.

When these shrimp break glass, it is almost always the bottom of a inexpensive glass tank as the water pressure works to their advantage.

As to bullets, come on...bullet proof glass isn't glass, it's polycarbonate. A 22 might not penetrate a thick piece of tempered, but anything much bigger sure will.

can you please explain to me how a stupid little matis shrimp has more force then a 10lbs rock beign thrown, that rock would do way more damage to something of the shear mass of the thing. study physics and then tell me if you think a few gram hammer on a shrimp can really put out the force it would take to of a bullet.
just because it can generate the speed does not mean that it would ever put out the force of a .22 cal bullet. they may strick with the same speed of the bullet but it cannot generate the same force as the buller, it just doesnt have the same momentum required to do the same kind of damage.

like i've showed you videos of a mantis shrimp punching the hands of people and yes it may hurt and sting a bit but it is not capable of penetrating skin liek a bullet can. it just defies the laws of physics, but hey i gess the laws of physics don't exist to mantis shrimps

I believe this is like when your car is under water fully submerged. You have to use that tool with the point or a spring loaded one to actually break the glass. hitting it with your hand/other hard object does nothing, but a small centered hit shatters it.

Im not talking about average house glass such as patiodoors and such...your avergae patio door is a 1/16 1/2" airgap and another 1/16 glass...yea a bird can break that as well as a football... but your tank glass isnt 1/16th or 1/8 even, its 1/4" at the least. 1/4 plate and 1/4" temp isnt easily broken and yes bullets will bounce... I have shot enough of it to know and im not talking about bulletproof glass,im talking about average storefront 1/4 plate and 1/4 tempered,every bullet will break the stuff...just not always on the first few shots.. I've also been installing the stuff for 13 years, I know alittle about the subject!! Now if your tank was 1/16th or even 1/8th it would be broken alot easier. I just gauged every tank in my house,they are all 1/4". A spring loaded punch wont break glass everytime either, I have one in my tool belt.

Both sides have very strong points. Im not sure which to believe. We really should write mythbusters...itd be a carey grant and tory myth

tarpon said:
Both sides have very strong points. Im not sure which to believe. We really should write mythbusters...itd be a carey grant and tory myth

How do you do it? Ill write em!

Any one know how much a mantis shrimp costs?

Well, if you're graced with it as a hitchiker (buy some Florida liverock) then it costs whatever your live rock cost you. Otherwise, the colorful ones run about $100. Be wary of the cheap ones - as they are the more common ones that only get about 4 inches and not really colorful.

Ok, what should i say? "a fullgrown saltwater Mantis Shrimp can break a standard full aquatium glass wall with one blow from its claw/claws?"

No, say something like "I saw a video on YouTube of a peacock mantis shrimp breaking the glass of its tank, but people are debating against it, saying that it cannot generate enough force to break the tempered glass. What do you guys think?"

........or something like that. Idk I need to grow up lolololololol

It does take a few shots to break glass he not lying it may put a hole in it but doesn't mean it will shatter

OMG..... this morning, I remembered to go on youtube to see the videos. Holy moley, I would NOT want one of those monsters in my tank. It was really disturbing. I'm sure it's good for the mantis, but it wasn't good for me..... or their prey. :lol:

LyndaB said:
OMG..... this morning, I remembered to go on youtube to see the videos. Holy moley, I would NOT want one of those monsters in my tank. It was really disturbing. I'm sure it's good for the mantis, but it wasn't good for me..... or their prey. :lol:

Haha ya they are pretty crazy things!! But, VERY interesting creatures!! :)

I'll say it once more...I am a mechanical engineer with a minor in chemistry...so I do know something about physics.
200 pounds of concentrated force down to a pin point will crack most types of glass that are thin enough. No, they can't crack a piece of 1" structural glass, but your tanks aren't made out of this unless it is a very big one. It's all about concentrated force. Most people keep shrimp in a 20-30 gallon tank that has at best a 1/4" bottom. They can crack those, I have seen it with my own eyes.

'nuff said on my end. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom