Can my tank make me sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Last Friday I tore down my tank and shortly after, my kids and I started to get sick. The wife came home after it was all apart and she just got stuffed up. I started sneezing like crazy got congested and a pounding headache. Later that night I had such bad chills that I had to hop in the shower to warm up so I could sleep. Both my daughters got congested aswell and the youngest one (5) woke up around 3 in the morning vomiting. My buddy who helped me move the tank to my van said too that he started feeling congested and a little off

Only think I can think of is that I had an air pump hooked to my Maxi-jet 1200 in the Rubbermaid that I put my zoo's and GSP in and something got into the air.

Anyone have any input?

The short answer is, yes your tank can make you sick. However, I have never heard/read anything about getting congested from the tank. It sounds to me like you gave each other common colds, but I am not a doctor. The Zoas/palys do have dangerous toxins which are dangerous to get into broken skin or youy eyes etc. I believe the symptoms of that are more flu like and also swelling/ numbness in the area of contact... look up palytoxins on google.

I've never heard of someone getting sick just from they're tank being torn down. I've never contracted anything though and mine is in my bedroom.

I've never heard of someone getting sick just from they're tank being torn down. I've never contracted anything though and mine is in my bedroom.

It can happen if they are handling certain types of coral. But again, I have never heard of getting a stuffed up nose from that. "palytoxin"

If it's anything, it's probably bacteria-based - something like vibrio or the like. Vibrio is often found in the mucous coats of some corals, I believe. Doubt it's an issue with palytoxin - that's a neurological poison and isn't going to give you flu-like effects.

It does seem odd that everyone that came into contact had the same symptoms at the same time. Normally, it seems like the run of the mill colds and flus will work their way through a household in stages and not all at once.

But yeah... in theory, there's stuff in our tanks that could make you sick. If you do end up seeing a doctor, make sure you tell them that you have corals and a SW tank in the house. Some docs are aware of the issues, others will give you a blank stare.

I would think that mold is a likely culprit. It can easily become airborne and have immediate effects. Is there anything that was flaking off or becoming airborne when you were working? A carpet area that had not been vacuumed for quite some time?
This is from a EPA website.
A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home | Mold | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA
"Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people."

A good cleaning and airing of the area may be needed.

Hope everyone feels much better soon!

I would think that mold is a likely culprit. It can easily become airborne and have immediate effects....

Have to agree with jim on this one. I was originally just thinking about the draining of tank. But if you moved the tank and stand, then you definitely could've stirred up a bit of mold and mildew. The ol' "sick building" syndrome.

Sounds like the flu to me. If you go to a physician/allergist, they can test and find out if its flu or something else (mold, etc). How anyone else would be sick from non-direct contact with the coral is beyond me.

I agree that it sounds like a common cold/flu case. The only way I can see anyone getting sick within hours is either during the breakdown process where the sandbed is disturbed and you inhale the sulphur/ammonia-like smell or through a direct line of infection by Vibrio or Myco (most prevalent). As unfriendly as palytoxins are, they pal(y)e in comparison to the former mentioned ime.

some of the prices people pay would make me sick.... lol....

i know in fw there are a couple transferable diseases not common though.

There's quite enough in fw as well that are common and transferable. Can't get away from them *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom