Can salt go bad?? Nitrate wont go down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcs401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have nitrite problem and cannot get it to go down no matter how many water changers I do. I am wondering could my salt being exposed to air for about a month be an issue? Any recommendations on how to bring nitrite and nitrate levels down so fish aren't harmed in a 24g nano would be greatly appreciated. I have a protein skimmer in first chamber in rear, second chamber has those fake ceramic circle things to act as live rock, carbon and return upgraded pump in third chamber. Please help

30lbs of LR and I am down to feeding only 2 times a week. Currently all my fish but one has died. I cannot figure it out for the life if me. Going to buy an RODI. ASAP but for now I use tap water with conditioner or distiller water mixed with salt.

Salt doesn't go bad. It can get hard from too much water vapor exposure, but a hammer makes it good as new. It is biologically inert.

Tap water can be loaded with nitrates and phosphates, as well as copper and iron. Never use tap water, except to rinse things off. Good luck!

Your tank probably has not cycled yet completely and killing your fish. Your tap water is also contributing to your nitrate problem. I would not use water conditioner in salt water tank. Try to stabilize water before adding new fish.

Really? That will work until I get my RODI in the mail. Hopefully it will help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom