can you run a salt water tank with just a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just a white padding? I put that over the top of my chemi pure elite (charcoal) should I be putting it elsewhere? I have not een much of a difference since using in the water, but it does catch a bunch of junk on it.

Reefpete said:
Yes rinse them with tank water that you changed out so do it all at once do a water change and wash the pads and bio clay I'm assuming you have in there as well a quick rinse

I would not wash off the hollow tubes thats just holding all the bacteria that has grown on them . All I would do is rinse the pads never the media. This would cause mini cycles this is probably the reason your fish died . I clean the pads in my ehime 2217 every 6 months . I have a 75 gallon running on it for 3 yrs no issue .

squidward said:
I would not wash off the hollow tubes thats just holding all the bacteria that has grown on them . All I would do is rinse the pads never the media. This would cause mini cycles this is probably the reason your fish died . I clean the pads in my ehime 2217 every 6 months . I have a 75 gallon running on it for 3 yrs no issue .

I have never cleaned the filter since I set it up. Do you run a protein skimmer or sump? Do you do the live rock rubble?

Back
Top Bottom