Can you use decorations in a saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ffb_boi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found this decoration at my local pet Store that I thought would look great in my tank(saltwater). But when I asked my main fish guy, he said that the only things I can put in my tank are corals and live rock (decoration wise). So I'm totaly bummed about this. Is there anyone out there who knows different? :?

Sincerely
B.

IMO, you CAN put decorations in the tank but most don't reccomend it simply because it's not natural. I don't see anything wrong with it though.

BTW welcome to AquariumAdvice!! :invasion: :band: :invasion:

Can use them, but they will become covered with algae. Gonna have to clean them or let it collect. You'll be able to decide. It is for aquarium use, right?

Welcome to AA!. :smilecolros:

I spent lots of money on aquarium decorations when I first got my tank, after awhile I found that I much preferred natural decorations like live rock & corals. I don't think I could put anything artificial in my tank now.

cathyjane said:
I spent lots of money on aquarium decorations when I first got my tank, after awhile I found that I much preferred natural decorations like live rock & corals. I don't think I could put anything artificial in my tank now.

This is true. Once you become more advanced in the hobby you most likely won't want fake plants in there. It's just something that comes with experience (and money :wink: ). But it's definitely worth while. Just take it slow and don't rush.

And now, a word from the other side... :wink:

I have the original tacky tank. No corals, no live rock, and everything in my tank (with the exception of the 4" of aragonite) is artificial. Resin branch coral, resin rock arch (I may replace it with a copy made from a piece of base rock and a masonry bit), Urethane anemone, urethane cup coral. If I find Mount Wannahockalugee in the pet store, I'm buying it!

I am probably the only person on this board not running Berlin method filtration. I'm getting a skimmer, and may even break down and get some base rock, but live rock has too many hitchhickers for my (wife's) taste.

Fish Only Forever!

Just be careful with the decoratiosn you buy. Some of the ones we carry in the store I work at are not recommended for marine aquariums. The paint isn't as hardy to the saltwater which would lead to chipping and then possible water contamination.

I second the opinion of Iwork. I was in a store last weekend and wanted to get a little hut from Spongebob for my QT (my son wanted it) and when I got it to the counter I asked if I could put it in my SW QT and they said no way. Back to the shelf it went, much to the dismay of my 2yo!

I wouldnt waste the money on plastic decorations... I would invest it in live rock! Then again I am the girl that in constantly buying more live rock because I still dont have enough.

Well thanks for all the responses, it's been a big help. The decoration I was gonna buy was a Roman pillar display. Thought it would look like Atlantis, but you all convinced me. Thanks again and also a big thanks for the welcomes. Glad to be here among all the fish lovers.

Sincerely
B.

i say if its a foriegn object it should never be in the tank if doesnt have to be!
i know that plastics these days are very strong but just look what the ocean does to anything over time... shipwrecks!!! I say stay away

Back
Top Bottom