Can you use hyposalinity on mandarins and clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading many links through Google and can't bookmark what I need to refer back to (maybe the function is here on my iPad but am new to it) so I am finding it difficult to find the info a 2nd time. I read clowns can't have hypo treatment nor rays and sharks. Would mandarins be included in that list ? I am thinking it would possibly affect their protective mucous layer? Thanks. Ps some crazy articles have suggested trying copper if the hypo doesn't work...while in hypo!

Also, how quickly should you reduce the SG? Some say slowly over 48-72hrs, others say within 24hrs and one article stated to transfer straight to 1.009 as long as PH, temp etc is the same. My sailfin isn't doing too well but that's because I need to drop the SG faster...I have been hesitant as need to add more fish to the QT first.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Firstly, hypo salinity can really only be done in qt since with established live rock it will create an ammonia spike from dying inverts and sponges in the live rock.

After that, both mandarins and clowns can have hyposalinity but the mandarins run the risk of starving. You will need to feed them quite a few times a day assuming they are accepting frozen foods. Baby brine shrimp will commonly work failing that.

Thanks Mebbid. I am fortunate as mine eat pellets as well as frozen lobster eggs. Only the green is showing signs -not the target or scooter blenny but as he is my favourite I don't want to lose him. A bit nervous that the hypo might kill him....

Thanks. This article at least makes reference to mandarins and blennies being more sensitive to copper treatment as they are scaleless fish so would that preclude them from hyposalinity the same as the reference to sharks and rays as they are scaleless? I can't find my large clarki which has been off so I will have to pull the reef apart...again.

Thanks. This article at least makes reference to mandarins and blennies being more sensitive to copper treatment as they are scaleless fish so would that preclude them from hyposalinity the same as the reference to sharks and rays as they are scaleless? I can't find my large clarki which has been off so I will have to pull the reef apart...again.

Hyposalinity and copper treatment have nothing to do with each other nor should they ever have anything to do with each other. They will do fine with hyposalinity.

Back
Top Bottom