Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlanciloti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve had my tank for about a year. It’s a 150 gallon reef tank but I am now noticing my nitrites and nitrates levels are too high even though I do weekly 10% water changes. I believe this is caused by my canister filter because I hear they are nitrite and nitrate factory’s. Would it effect my tank in any negitive way if I were to remove my canister filter? I also have a small sump with a slimmer and bio balls.

I would get away from the canister as like your finding out they cause issues ,
I would suggest going with a nice sized sump 55g , it would give you room for a nice skimmer your pumps heater ect , you can build baffles to make sections ,

maybe build a nice algae scrubber you can do many things in a sump that size
I myself have a basic sump no baffles it's a wet dry setup with a algae scrubber . I use 2 skimmers and a phos reactor . I keep rubble rock and macro's in the remainder of sump
just a simple set up . I keep saying I want to upgrade but I have yet to do it.

Last edited:
Have you ever cleaned the filter? It should be cleaned weekly during your 10% water changes.
If you are detecting any nitrite you need to do water changes to address this. It is toxic to all inhabitants. Are you sure your tests are accurate? They haven’t expired?

Back
Top Bottom