Cannister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
20G growout..Cannister filter for chem/mechanical with lr for bio or ?? Marineland has a nice little H.O.T cannister I was looking at. Was kinda hoping to keep the lr down to 10 lbs or so since there is to be so little in the tank. Just looking for anyones success stories..

Thanks again,

-PC

If it's just a coral growout tank, I would just go with some kind of a power filter and check the filter a couple of times a week.

You really won't need much in the way of biofiltration in a 20g coral prop tank. 10-15lbs of LR should do it. I'm guessing you'll have a sandbed as well? That will help too. A small HOB filter would do the job for the occasional dose of carbon and cost you a lot less than a canister. A good fish for a coral growout tank is a yellow tail damsel. They won't bother anything, they're hardy, and corals seem to do better with a fish in the tank. I'd only put one in though. It has worked for me anyway.

Cool beans, I like the Aquaclears at Petco. Cheap and flexible as you can place different types of media in them. Just wanted to do a gut check as I am due to get lights fri and will have it up and cycled by monday.

Thanks!
-PC

Back
Top Bottom