Canopy Design for Power Compacts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is a 50 gallon tank that is 20 inches high and 30 inches long. I plan on buying a retrofit kit that is power compact only. It will either be 4X55 or 4X65 watts. My question is, should it be 8 inches above the waterline like metal halide or should it be Closer.

Thanks,

- Jeff

You have retofit kits sitting right on top? On top of what? Glass Canopy, Eggcrate? Do you have any pics?

Thanks.

i have to get two retrofit kits because my tank has weird dimensions, and i cant get enough wattage in one stip. This is why i have to either get two stips, or two retofits. I think im gonna go with two retofits because i think it will look better if i had a canopy, i think two of what you have would look to cluttered on top of my tank.

I agree.. maybe u can get a canopy then and try hanging them in there.. prolly will like it better that way.. GET A FAN! these lights are hot..

yeah, thats my point, im not sure if i should give it an 8 inch clearance. I figured that the canopy would hide the clutter. Thanks for your help.

- Jeff

Oceanicsublimat, those Coralifes come with fans already on them (Unless you got an older model or something).

If you install a splash guard as part of the hood, the lights can be as close as you want. Without the splash guard you should have some distance to protect the bulbs. Just keep in mind the more the lights are elevated, the less effective they are.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom