Capnella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my capnella tree is shedding alot of its branches off, quite abit are afloat it the water, I was wondering, what can I do to get them to grow on another piece of rock?? I didnt cut off the limbs, they are just coming off. What shall I do? :D BTW, I change my main light timer to make it so they arent on for very long, and that pesky algae that grows qite abit in a few days is dying off! The main light turn on 10am and goes off about 8-9pm, is that alright?

Attach them to a small peice of lr with super glue gel. Some times you can find a crevice in some lr that will make a perfect home.
You are ok on the lights.

Are you sure that super glue is ok for the aquarium? I dont really trust super glue LOL Just seems kinda odd

It is fine for the tank. Just mske sure you do the joining underwater so the glue doesn't burn the coral.

I bought a capnella frag about three weeks ago and it has grown so fast that I have already fraged it once myself. Take out the rock you want to attatch it to and dry the spot where you want it. Get the gel form of super glue and glue it on. Let it set for a couple of minutes to cure a bit and back in the tank. Works great...Lando

SaltwaterTeen said:
Are you sure that super glue is ok for the aquarium? I dont really trust super glue LOL Just seems kinda odd
Make sure that "contains cyanoacrylate" appears somewhere on the packaging. That's what makes it safe for use in the tank. If it doesn't have it, don't buy it. I would try and get the super thick gel if available and avoid ones that just say superglue. If it's not a gel, it will not work.

Cheers
Steve

The toothpick method of sticking it through the stalk and then the toothpick into a rock works quite well.

Alot of hobby stores ell very high quality super glue that is Cyanoacrylate.

OOh, is that a toadstool leather that was mounted??? Its soo cool! I always wanted a toadstool, but the lfs always says you cant tell if its gonna be a toadstool, or some diferent type of leather that grows huge, so I havent been able to get one for my tank :(

Wow!!! Kenya tree corals are expensive!!! $50 for a small one at drs. foster and smiths website! I could propagate them and sell them to my lfs! :D :D

I was reading GARFS website about capnella tree coral, and the one I have is one of the only soft corals that spawn!!! So I guess those branches coming off and floating around is it spawning? Heres what they have to say:

"FINE BRANCH PINK CORAL STANDS OUT
The fine branches of this coral is not quite like any other in the nonconnected genetic bank. This coral is a very good seller because it does not look like other soft corals. This is one of the only soft corals that spawns in the aquarium. The young corals attach to the live rock and they grow very fast.

This is a very hardy coral and it has done well in many systems. We have had great success shipping this coral. We hang the reef plug upside down in a styrofoam ring and so far we have not lost one. We are certain this coral will be one of the best soft corals to propagate for profit. It has all of the best traits. It is easy to propagate, easy to ship, fast growing, and many people do not have it in their reefs yet. "

I am so proud of my coral!!!! :D :D :D Heres the link, but I still need help on how to do this, I have the little chunks of lr and the cyanoacrylate super glue gel, now what??

LINK: http://www.garf.org/LEONELS/CAPN/CAPN.html

well, I read alot on garfs website, and found a way to propagate the capnella, but I need to know how to make reef plugs.

Back
Top Bottom