Carbonate hardness issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furrymurray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having problem with my alkalinity being too low in my 210 gallon. Here are my test results

Sg 1.026
Nitrates 1 ppm
Phosphates, ammonia, nitrites 0
Calcium 450
Mg 1360
Ph 8 (with the lights off)
Dkh 5.6

I dosed yesterday with BRS soda ash. According to their calculator 5 oz should have brought it up 1 dkh. But it only raised it .3 dkh. Should I continue to slowly raise it? I am afraid of throwing everything else out of whack if I continue. Also this tank has new substrate (about 6 weeks old). It is caribsea aragonite seaflor special grade reef sand. Is this affecting my test results?

You can dose daily until you reach the normal level. Just take note of calcium cause it will gradually drop down when alk is raised. So you need to balance it by dosing calcium too.

Are you using bio pellets? I was having the same issue my pellets was taking up the alk also. I used baking soda mixed with rodi to get it up

No i dont use biopellets. I have never had an issue with having alkalinty this low. The only thing I have changed is the substrate so I dont know what is going on

EAsiest way to raise alkalanity is to lower calcium levels. I only say that because you have room to lower yours as it is a bit high. If you lower you calcium to 380-400 your alk should go up a bit without needing to add magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom