Cardinal compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how many can i put in a 29 gal biocube... i know it says min 30 gallons... but is 29 good enough?

can i have 2? if so anyone know how to sex them?

-Brad

how many can i put in a 29 gal biocube... i know it says min 30 gallons... but is 29 good enough?

can i have 2? if so anyone know how to sex them?

-Brad

i had two in a 30 before they were happy i dont think anyone would know how to sex them.

i had two in a 30 before they were happy i dont think anyone would know how to sex them.

Actually... I believe I've read that they can be sexed by subtle differences in the top fin - the one that can get really long as it gets older. Can't remember if the long fin means male or female though.

2 of those should get along fine, assuming you get them when they're still young.

{Edit: Maybe poke around here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/banggaifaqs.htm and you'll find more info regarding keeping multiples.}

I had two in my 55G and they got along fine for the first month or two and then one started picking on the other so I returned one to the LFS. I think in a smaller tank you are probably better off with just one, but in a larger tank they can be kept in groups.

I think that Kaudern's (Banggai) Cardinalfish are definitely some of the coolest fish out there! I'd like to put in a word, however, in favor of obtaining certified tank-bred specimens. Banggais are in danger of going extinct in the wild (see this article from Practical Fishkeeping) but there is a captive breeding program as an alternative. The tank-bred individuals are available at LiveAquaria.

Back
Top Bottom