CaribSea SouthSeas Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never used base rock but I would assume as long as it looks good and is pourous to house bacteria you are good to go. Just need a bit of live rock to introduce bacteria. The only disadvantage is it takes longer to become seasoned but if your pateint could save some serious $$$$ I would call them and request the certain type of pieces you are looking for.

I'm good with all that, just wanted experiences on this specific brand. but thanx.

I have the opportunity to pick up 80lbs for $40

yeah I don't think you can go wrong with that price. Just make sure to give it a good rinsing, as I assume it's been used?

nope, brand new... delivered to someone by mistake, just lookin to unload

At $.50/lb, if you really need it, it's probably worth it. It looks like it's probably lighter than the base rock Something Fishy sells for $1.29/lb.
Your probably not that far from Something Fishy. Ever been there? Awesome store.

Last edited:
I don't need it, just stocking up supplies for the next tank. What is it about it that turns you off? Not questioning , just trying to understand. It's CC, appears pretty porous though it's mined inland instead of sea bound. It wasn't envisioned to be the entire supply just roughly 60% of the overall LR load. Again, just trying to follow the thought process.

S-Fishy. Been there a few times , usually just stopping in on my way back from Ithaca. Very nice place, probably take me an hour and half or so to get there from home.

More than likely there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just leery of putting anything in my tank that didn't come from the ocean. I realize that base rock was in an ocean a few million years ago, but it was dug up recently. Just one of those things...lol. I'm old and set in my ways. ;)

Back
Top Bottom