caring for flame scallops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisB

Aquarium Advice Regular
when i went to the pet store the other day they had two real pretty scallops. i baught them and a flame angel and am quarinting the angel and properly (using the drip method) acclimated the scallops for around 2 1/2 hours. after putting them in the tank i waited for a couple hours and target fed them frozen brine shrimp with a new/ unused turkey baster. I realize the scallops dont move around alot but they didnt even attemt to grab the food. how close is target feeding and is there a "special" food for scallops. also add general care tips for the flame scallops. are there any major predators that are in my tank that may eat the scallops.

Flame scallops are filter feeders and are VERY hard to keep. They have a dismal survival record in captivity. I have never had one, but provide it with moderate flow and target feedings of live plankton like DT's. You can also look at BioPlankton or CoralPlankton by Liquid Life. Good luck with it. I wish you success...Lando

These things are tough to keep I have read; in a reef tank the lifespan is normally a matter of months. I'm not sure if they live longer in the wild? Use the search utility ablove and you should be able to find feeding help. The electric flame scallop is an amazing reef creature. It appears to have electric currents shooting across it in a dimly lit tank. I wonder why nature did that? To scare away predators, or attract food? IE, plankton going to it at night?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1525

im not listening to the pet store again
"just feed it a little brine shrimp itll be fine"
well ill try and get soem better food for them, anmd i hope they will make it.

I would suggest marine snow by two little fishes. Scallops eat very small(.4microns) food and the marine snow has particles small enough. I'm not sure about other foods as most of them don't list what size particles are in there.

I've read that they life span is 3-4 years and when you buy them they are 3-4 years old. They are also very picky about the size of the particles. DT is a good choice.
I too was sold the line that they were easy to care for, no one ever said they would only last a few months. Mine lasted about 6 months.
OH and their not really scallops their file clams and they like to hide.
For the last two months of its life one was hidden up under a rock and could not be seen.
Well the hermit crabs had a great meal

Back
Top Bottom