Carnation Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here successfully kept one? If so, how and what did you feed it? I bought one lastnight, and I have since read that they need to have an abundance of algae/plankton in the water to thrive. I've also read that many people have trouble keeping them due to the strict dietary needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes, thank you. But does anyone have any suggestions on food? Is one brand of phytoplankton better than another?

I think a massive refugium would be your first starting point. I have heard people have had limited sucess by stirring the sand bed heavily a few times a day. You would have to have a very mature tank for this though. Also you could try target feeding directly with DT'S and Liquid LIfe Bio Plankton. I am out of ideas now. Good luck if you decide to try one!

I think a massive refugium would be your first starting point.

Agreed

As for Phyto, I'd go with DT's, if you could design some sor of slow drip throughout the day that would be best. Maybe a phytoreactor?

I take a large plastic up and put some DT in it mix with water. Invert the cup and put it over the coral for a hour or so. Do this every other day, but if you have a good aged refugium you can do it less. Everyday is the best but puts too much of a load on you system.
I have had my carnation for 6 months and is growing slowing but it growing.
I put my coral upside down in a cave hanging with moderate to strong flow

Back
Top Bottom