Carpet Anemone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandonsev

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had two Ocellaris clown fish for a few months now and am wanting to get an anemone for them. I was told at my LFS that a carpet anemone was the best choice but it might kill some of the other fish in the tank. The other fish I have are a yellow tang, longnose butterfly, and a six line wrasse. Do you think it is a good idea to get this type of anemone?

The anemone choice is fine as long as your tank is mature enough (say 8 months or longer). Your other fish are smart enough to stay away which is the reason that the clownfish has adapted to the symbiotic relationship with anemones.

The 3 things to remember are:

a) no guarantee your clown fish will be even the slightest bit interested in your new purchase.

b) Without a mature tank your new purchase may not last long

c) Without the proper lighting your new purchase may not last long.

Is a carpet the best choice.. dunno, most in the hobby seem to lean towards the bubble tip but that may be for ascetic reasons.

Do some google research and see what you can find.

Good luck

I would look into a bubble tip anemone if this is your first go at keeping an anemone. Thats my first bit of advice. From experience, BTA's appear to more readily host Oc and Percs but know that to host or not to host is completely up to the fish, no one can predict what will work. Secondly, carpet nems are known for devouring what ever it can capture. If you decide to place one in your tank, consider yourself warned ;) GL!

I have a BTA and two clows that host it. I had the BTA in the large tank for 3 weeks and they could have cared less about it. Then, I was restaining my stand and put the fish and BTA into a 30g QT I have. It only took them about 1 day to start hositng it. Now with everything back in the big tank, all is great.

My BTA will up and move if it wants too. He has been stable for a week now. Been thinking about selling it back to the LFS becasue I would rather keep the coral safe.

As mentioned above there is no guarantee the clowns will host it. I had a BTA and had to get rid of it as my clowns chose to ignore it. BTW what type lighting do you have?

My Experience:

Clowns ignored the Green BTA I added to my Tank. BTA decided he likes the back of the tank better then the front.

Now I have 2 clowns trying to host my Green DUNCAN coral and a BTA that is only a little visible if you peek behind the tank. I'm sure he'll relocate again one day..maybe to the front of the tank

Back
Top Bottom