Carpet Anemone On the Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Well I changed the flow around in my tank and Now my Haddoni is on the move.. The lowest flow area in my tank now is on the complete opposite side.. No matter what I do I cant seem to reverse this either.. He has started to move up the glass.. Is there a good way to remove him from the glass and move him to the other side or should I just let him move on his own.. I have quite a few corals in the path and dont really want them to get hurt at all.. He seems to be moving pretty slowly but still...

James

Keep an eye on that, the mouth may be showing signs of gaping but could also just be from it's awkward position. How are the water specs?

Cheers
Steve

Keep an eye on that, the mouth may be showing signs of gaping but could also just be from it's awkward position. How are the water specs?
Water is perfect.. I was able to convince him to let go of the glass and set him back where he was and removed the powerhead that was bothering him for the time being.. He seems to be doing good... AS for the mouth I was informed that they do that when on the move.. The mouth is all better now... I have put out word locally that I wanted to get rid of him but I dont know If I want to do that as of yet..

James

here is a few pics as of 9:40am PST 1-19-04 He seems to be doing much better...

blue-1.JPG

blue-2.JPG

James

Is it normal for an anemone to Release some like steam/smoke.. It is very light but its coming out.. The only thing that I can think of Is sperm.. It is a very light vapor type.. Lost almost Identical to steam.. You cant really tell unless you are up close..

James

cj10488 said:
AS for the mouth I was informed that they do that when on the move..
Not sure who gave you that impression but it is not normal and usually a sign of something irritating the anemone. When on the move or stationary, a gaping mouth is a bad sign and should be watched closely.

cj10488 said:
Is it normal for an anemone to Release some like steam/smoke.. It is very light but its coming out.. The only thing that I can think of Is sperm.. It is a very light vapor type.. Lost almost Identical to steam.. You cant really tell unless you are up close..
Could be as you suggest but also keep watch on it's color. It could be (however remote) losing zooxanthellae. From the recent pic though it seems fine.

Cheers
Steve

yeah that mouth is not looking good. Definatly keep a close eye on that. Don;t want him to die and wipe out your tank.

He is already in another tank.. He turned around and was doing pretty good.. Well after I turned off the powerheads in the tank.. I figured it was a pretty good time to get the Correct carpet that I wanted in the first place.. He went to a good home that had some saddlebacks waiting for it... Last I heard it survived the trip.. I will be going over there to get some frags this weekend for it.. Wee more frags for my tank.. Anyways I will be ordering the correct carpet for my A. Perculas "S. Gigantae" It was either that or the Ritteri which I was tempted on the Ritteri do to the flow in my tank.. Steve-s What do you think? Ritteri or S. Gigantae under 2x250w MH and 2x55w actinics..

James

cj10488 said:
Steve-s What do you think? Ritteri or S. Gigantae under 2x250w MH and 2x55w actinics..
Either in regards to the lighting. The Riterri however will appreciate a stronger caotic water flow so that may also be a consideration in your choice. I have found that A. ocellaris is not as willing a host for this anemone as much of the literature suggests though. IME, cinnamons, skunks or clarkii's would be a better choice. If with the S. gigantea then the ocellaris would be better but this anemnone may not be as accepting of a high water flow tank. It should still be able to find a happy area though, even if a "flow break" is created with the rock..

Cheers
Steve

The Riterri however will appreciate a stronger caotic water flow so that may also be a consideration in your choice
Thats why I was thinking the Ritteri since I have the wavemaker and Its pretty chaotic in there... However the ritteri is supposed to be harder to care for than the S. Gigantea... In the wild aren't the S. Gigantea's the natural host for the A. Percula??? If the A. Perculas arent really known for hosting in a Ritteri I think i will go with the S. Gigantea.. Ideas Choices.. your opinion

James

Given your lighting and desire for the percula, I would stick with your earlier decision of the carpet. The ritteri can indeed be harder to keep and I think you will be disappointed with the lack of interest the choice of clown may have. It could take but there is a great chance it won't or at the least take months to even notice it. The only thing I would suggest is possibley re-arranging or adding some well cured rock in hopes of creating a less caotic water flow area for the carpet.

Cheers
Steve

The only thing I would suggest is possibley re-arranging or adding some well cured rock in hopes of creating a less caotic water flow area for the carpet
I will rearrange the LR on the side of the tank that he is going to be on in hopes that I can calm down the currents some.. Maybe I will dig in with LR to create some what of a cave type area. I am sure I can figure something out... Thanks Again Steve..

Back
Top Bottom