Catalina PC are junk. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwilk20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem. I`ve been running my new PC lights (PetSupplyLiquidator.com) for about 3 weeks and already the bulbs (catalina brand) have developed dark spots!

Can anyone recommend a better brand 96w PC? Straight pin or square, I`ll just change the endcaps.

Could it be the ballast causing the dark spots? Or are the bulbs just junk?

I am thinking of de-gutting the light fixture and install better components.

Icecap 660 any good?

Thanks,

Paul.

I would go with Either Hamilton Or CSL.. The hamiltons I have had some problems with them breaking on my however their warranty is 6m so Free replacements for life at the rate they are breaking.. The Catalina bulbs are just absolute junk As well as PSL... I dont/wont ever recommend them to anyone.. BTW the ballasts in there Are fulham workhorse ballasts.. They are good ballasts just the bulbs are junk.. I destroyed the hood and keep the fixtures and ballasts..

HTH,
James

Thanks james, wish I knew about PSL would have never bought that crap :evil: .

Anyway, would there be any benefit in going with the Icecap660? It goes for around $160 while my Workhorse ballasts are around $40. This large price difference makes me feel like the Icecap is far superior. Anyone know if bulbs will last longer on the Icecap? Is it more energy efficient? Any other benefits?

Paul.

Anyway, would there be any benefit in going with the Icecap660
Not really except for that the 660 I believe can handle alot more wattage... Being able to add more bulbs.. The 660 I believe can handle like 560w where as your workhorse is rated for probably 128w.. If you dont plan on adding any more Vho or PC lights then there really is no need for the 660..
Anyone know if bulbs will last longer on the Icecap? Is it more energy efficient? Any other benefits?
Possibly more energy efficent but I doubt it would be enought to notice... The Fulham ballasts are great widely used ballasts.. As for the bulbs lasting longer probably not.. Your going to want to replace them yearly at least if not sooner... With my hamiltons I am replacing them every 3 months.. They seem to break right around the 3 month mark.. Fine with me. Takes a few days for them to get replaced.. As long as they are under warranty then I dont care.. At this rate I wont ever have to buy another Actinic light LOL..

HTH<
James

Could the heat of the three 96w PC cause them to go bad prematurely? The PSL hood has only one 3" fan. Is that enough? The bulbs get very hot. There is no room to add another fan :( .

I am leaning towards building a new hood. If I do, should I stick with PC or VHO?

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom