Catastrophe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got home from fishing at 1:30 a.m. and found my green BTA laying face down in the sand and pieces of him everywhere! the tank was super cloudy, my overflow was going haywire because the filter sock was completely clogged and fish are out (lights off) and acting very ill. I'm writing this after performing the following emergency procedures.
-Turned lights on
-turned off return pump
-removed visible fish(all but two) and placed in QT
-performed 20% water change
-replaced filter sock and cleaned clogged skimmer.
-removed power head that had bits of BTA stuck in it as well as siphoning every speck of flesh I could find throughout entire tank.
-reattached nem to rock.
-performed water tests.
** did I miss anything?

Parameters are as follows:
-Ammo: .10 ish hard to tell.. Really close to zero but its an API Master.. I don't trust it much.
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
SG 1.026

After reattaching the nem back to a rock I could see big white chunk of him taken out and several tentacles severed. It had already begun to close up its wounds and heal, kinda the way it is when you frag them and cut them in half. Now it's sitting nicely in the rock work much smaller than it was before. Fish were very easy to catch as they were very lethargic and breathing heavily it may have had something to do with me turning the lights on in the middle of the night... Not sure All fish are doing much better in the 10 gal QT, mostly going back to sleep. however now I'm worried about elevated ammonia in there as well. There are 5 in QT and 2 still in the DT.
They are 1 sixline, 2 clowns, 1 scopes tang, 1 coral beauty. Two in DT are black cap basslet and yellow watchman goby(paired with pistol).
I'm not sure if I'd be better off putting the guys in QT back in the DT in the morning or what...
I guess my next question here is, What Next?
Sorry for the long post....please offer any advice you think could help!

Here's a pic of the nem. I think he'll survive. Time will tell, however I know people have had them survive after these incidents.
I also forgot to add that this is a 90 gal. tank

Attachments

• image-688963525.jpg
    image-688963525.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 196
I would start to see why he released himself and got sucked into the ph. If conditions are right they never more. Lighting, flow prams, has anything changed

I would start to see why he released himself and got sucked into the ph. If conditions are right they never more. Lighting, flow prams, has anything changed

He's done this a few times as soon as the lights go out. He moves up the glass to the top of the tank. Same as last night... I think he's just searching for light.

To prevent same thing from happening again, I would put some screen on power heads. I use the plastic part from an hob filter after removing all other components (cloth and carbon). Using a tie wrap the piece of plastic 4x5 sq in is attached to any side of the ph (up, down or side). It work pretty well for me.

Run some carbon, nems can nuke a tank when they get stressed or die

Yea I forgot to add that I put a carbon media bag in the filter sock after the water change. And yes I've heard many horror stories of this happening and people coming home to a nuked tank! I was certain my tank was done for.

To prevent same thing from happening again, I would put some screen on power heads. I use the plastic part from an hob filter after removing all other components (cloth and carbon). Using a tie wrap the piece of plastic 4x5 sq in is attached to any side of the ph (up, down or side). It work pretty well for me.

Do you have a pic or something? I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about... I definitely want to cover them now. I was certain this nem was settled in so I didn't do it. Lesson learned.. There's no certainties with anemones! Take all precautions available!

Here is the one at the bottom of my tank. I have another one at the surface and the plastic screen is mounted below the ph.

Attachments

• HP Screen.jpg
    HP Screen.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 162
The basslet, watchman and corals with the exception of a Duncan are opened up fully. I think the Duncan got stung pretty badly while the nem was on the move. The water has cleared up well... Found a few more pieces of anemone tentacle, and I think ill be sucking that stuff out for days. New parameters:
-ammo: 0
-nitrite: 0
-nitrate:0
-ph: 8.2
-SG: 1.025 (down from 1.026 since last nights water change)

Ok so lights go out and it's on the move again!
I've about had it with this. The corals can't take much more! These shenanigans have been going on since the day I added it, and its always always always as soon as lights go out. What else can I do?? I'm at my whits end and ready to return or sell this thing!

Not sure if that may help. Maybe feed it a small piece of shrimp or something meaty a few minutes before the lights are out maybe?

Not sure if that may help. Maybe feed it a small piece of shrimp or something meaty a few minutes before the lights are out maybe?

Thanks for the help. Doesn't seem like anyone else has much to add on this but then again, I don't think there's much I can do... I could try that but I'm worried that feeding that often would do more harm than good. Ill try it tomorrow night.
Anything is worth a try at this point....

Here's a pic of the its wounds. It looks much better now. Couldn't see it until just after the incident, and up until now. It's good to see she's doing better. It's quite a relief.

Attachments

• image-1344246212.jpg
    image-1344246212.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 128
Update on nem! Woke up this morning and found that it has split, but not in half. It looks like it tore off the part that was heavily damaged by the power head. It crawled up the glass last night to do this. Weird! Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-1528797997.jpg
    image-1528797997.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1938504949.jpg
    image-1938504949.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2166647233.jpg
    image-2166647233.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 132
Holy crap! Scratch that last post, there's now 2 offspring! I've gotta remove these guys but they aren't healed up from splitting yet! What should I do???

Back
Top Bottom