Catching fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamroz37

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of tanking out all my fish and putting them in my quartile tank I just bought be ause my hippo tank caught ich. I've got most of the fish out except for the 2. Green chromis and maroon clown how can I get them out any suggestions

Just leave them in there. Just because one fish has Ich doesn't mean they all get it. It's all in how healthy your fish are.

The reason be is so I can leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks so the ich dies off I can't do that with fish in there still

From what everyone here says, Ich is always in your tank. Weather your fish are healthy enough to fight it is the question. I've had A fish with Ich in a tank with five other fish and only the one that had it perished. All the other fish were fine.

Well from What I hear is if the parasite doesn't have a fish to host to They will all die off

Maybe someone else can chime in here. I'm not that good at splaining stuff.

Haha no I get what your saying but I've heard the mr his to do was quarantine fish and leave tank fallow no fish for 6 weeks and without a host the ich will die off

Certain fish can survive ick, your right. But to clear the tank completely, yes you need to get ALL the fish put for 6-8 weeks. You can try to leave your net in the tank for a while so the fish get used to it. With the net part hanging down. Even put a bit of food in there once they get used to it. Then BAM, SURPRISE! You caught it.

I would not take any of them out. Hippo tangs always get ich. Taking all the fish out will only stress them more.

So am I just supposed to let the hippo get tons of ich on him every week then? Or is there vitamins I can give them to strengthen immune system

Hippo tangs are always getting it. Get a good uv so it does not pass it to your other fish and just leave them in there. My hippo tang used to get ich on and off all the time before i traded him in to get a different tang and none of my other fish ever got it. If you take them out everytime a fish gets ich you will be doing it all the time.

Lots of odd info on this thread so far...

All tanks do not always have Ich. All Tangs (Hippo or otherwise) do not always get/have Ich. However, some fish can have Ich, usually in the gils, where you do not see it and they do not display the "white spots" usually associated with Ich. UV filters in no way guarantee that Ich will not be spread to other fish. It kills what is in the water column, but that only gets some of it and only in certain stages of the life cycle. There are two views on dealing with stuff like this...

(1) Maintain pristine water conditions and healthy, well-fed fish. They might be able to fight it off/ keep it at bay. People on here have gone that route and never had an Ich outbreak. IMO, that amounts to a bit of luck. Ich is not always a death sentence. Some fish muscle through it and can eventually overcome it, but some can't.

(2) Treat fish with either copper or hypo in a QT and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. IMO, that gives you an Ich-free tank and fish going back in are Ich-free. No more Ich. If you QT future additions and treat as needed, you maintain a "clean" DT. Is there a chance that a fish with Ich sneaks through the initial QT "observation period" and brings Ich into your DT? Sure, but it is not very likely. The down side of the QT while treating is that hypo or copper will likely stress your fish. Some might not make it. Again, that end result probably has a bit of luck with it, but most fish do okay. I like hypo better, as copper is basically a poison and seems to stress fish more. Both have worked for many, many people.

Also be aware that whatever tank you treat for Ich will not be able to support most inverts for a long time because of the copper. I made this mistake in my main tank about a year ago

Also be aware that whatever tank you treat for Ich will not be able to support most inverts for a long time because of the copper. I made this mistake in my main tank about a year ago

True. Never treat Ich (or anything else) in a DT...always treat in a QT. Even with hypo, it is just better to have a dedicated tank for QT. Treat sick fish in there and observe new additions in there. Inverts don't carry anything, so they get to pass by that experience.

Back
Top Bottom