catching fish in a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownin around

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am attepting to remove my Lawn Mower Blennie from a 58 gal tank I have 85 lbs of live rock in the tank and I am having alot of difficulty catching him any one out there got any good tricks! Help!!

Take a glass and cover the end with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubberband. Put a slit in the plastic and place the fish's favorite food inside. You should be able to grab the glass and get him out before he can figure his way back out of the cup.

you can make your own fish trap with a two litre bottle. just cut the top off with a razor blade, then cut cut the bottle in two pieces a little above half way, then put the top half inside the bottom half. put some food in there and place it on the substrate for the blenny. i did this to catch a blue damsel and it worked in about 5 min. HTH

Heres a quick picture of what it looks like

oh thank you guys!! It ended up that the person who came for my clowns and my blenny ended up taking every fish I have !! I got some frags of silver tipped pulsing zenia and green mushrooms in return and I am starting a seahorse only tank so that works out great !! I ended up taking out every piece of live rock I have to get the willy yellow tang out!! I will keep these ideas on hand though I am sure in the future I will need them. I would have never have thought of the things you mentioned. Such great ideas!!

Good news!!

I want to point out one thing that you may already know. If you are going to set up a seahorse only tank, make sure that any corals your choose have low water flow requirements (i.e. NO SPS's!!). Seahorses are not very good swimmers and in most reef tanks don't do so well because of all the water movement in the tank for the corals.

Back
Top Bottom