Caught up in the excitement of corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, once again i have another coral question. On sunday i bought my first coral, a purple star polyp, and i am so excited about filling up my reef, but i realized that getting another coral this soon might be too soon, then i thought that corals wouldn't need a full week to acclimate like fish do, because today, i noticed that it was in full bloom, and all of it seemed normal. tommorow is the only time i can get another coral until maybe next week around this time, so any help would be appreciated. Also, i fed the poylips 3 drops of Kent Marine Microvert directly with a syringe.

Next on the list, coral placement, I was thinking about getting zoos next (or a fan worm thing), but i dont know where to put them. If it provides any idea, i have 5 watts/gal of lighting, and anywhere from no to high flow. Also the tank is about 18" tall, while the highest piece of live rock is up to about the 12 inch line (maybe a little taller).

Finally, i have added calcium and it is maintaining a stable level, but do i need to add any other supplements?

What would i do without aquarium advice? Its like a holy guru i consult before taking any action!
-trent

I believe when people say stock slow they are refering to fishes because they add a lot of bioload. Corals add very little bioload so it's ok to add several pieces as the sametime assuming your water quality is good.

I would place the zoos near bottom to mid level, even near the top depending on your lighting. Whats your total watts? Are you using PC, VHO,MH, etc?

If you don't have anything that consumes a lot of calcium like, SPS, clams,LPS you can probably stop dosing it. Regular water changes will help replenish the trace elements.

I am using 2 65w 50/50 PC + Actinide (i think thats how its spelled) lights along with my 15w regular flourescent light in a 29 gal tank. And ill stop worrying about the trace elements then. But do you know anything about feather duster worms? I wanted to add one soon, but do they have a high bio load?

thanx
-trent

Actinics. You should be fine keeping softies, LPS and maybe a few types of SPS.

I haven't owned a Feather duster yet but from what iv'e read is that they should be fed phytoplankton and placed in a low flow area.

I have some phytoplankon ready to feed. But ill go ahead and try to get a duster (i've already reserved a place for it :D )
P.S. My 2 perc clowns look sad without an anemone, and they wander the tank all day without a home :( , ive only had my tank for 2 months, so i no i cant get one, but i read that you can host them in a xenia (i think thats the spelling). Is this true?

thanx
-Trent

ok, that'l do, cause my lfs sells hairy mushrooms, but i noticed youve got a featgher duster RMPD, hows that thing workin out?

thanx
-Trent

just got it yesterday. it stays out pretty much all the time. my peppermint shrimp moved it around some but I relocated it and no more problems. It is a pink/purple color and looks great in the tank.

Clowns do not need a host. I have a perc that is near 8 years old. Never had an anenome. He/she was originally in a FO tank but he loves the reef he lives in now :)

I have metal halides and I don't know if I will ever try an anemone. Once you start getting into corals, fish are secondary. At least that is what happened to me. :)

Aquarium Corals
by Eric H. Borneman

I'd recommend this book availbale in our library. Good reference source IMO on care requirements.

Oh yeah, your question on the tube worms/feather dusters/Fan worms (as you called'm I think). Mine are at the bottom and middle of my tank. Some in holes in the rock. Some wedged in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom