Caulerpa, yes or no.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a kit I ordered from ebay coming tomorrow. There are several types of macros some pods, live sand, mini stars as well as some Caulerpa. After some reading I am considering not adding the caulerpa since my fuge is not ready yet. From what I have read it can quickly take over a system. I have been told it is the type that looks like a grape vine.
Opinions?

Well if you add it to your system your angel and tang will eat it. So you won't have any problems.

Six-Line said:
Well if you add it to your system your angel and tang will eat it. So you won't have any problems.

True, good point. Do you have some in yours?

Well the kits here and it looks great. :)
One bag is full of some very live sand, I can see lots of pods crawling around.
in another bag is a bunch of rock rubble. Tons of worms (bristle and others) more pods and some mini stars.
In another bag some macro algae, grape calerpa (which I'm not going to use, too much bad press) Chaetomorpha (which I am putting in my wet dry,(soon to be refugium)) and he tells my some ulva and some gracillarius which I will put in the main.
In the last bag there are a Halimeda, a shaving brush and another I haven't identified yet (looks like a leaf).
These are also a bunch of cerith and nassarius snails as well as a couple margarita and nerite snails.
Cool stuff, can't wait to get home and put it in my system.
One question, since my fuge isn't set up, can I put the Chaetomorpha in my wet dry with a rock to hold it? Also would a light from a 10 gallon be enough for it?
Thanks

Get a grow light bulb and a clamp on fixture from HD. Should be less that $10. The other light might work but the macro might not grow as fast.

Do you have some in yours?

In my fuge, when I go collecting I take huge clumps of the macro, then bury it in the sand as if it were growing. The tangs and angels take about 3 days to completely finish it off. I don't think there is a macro that can grow faster than your fish can eat it.

Just got done acclimating and adding. Wow, tons of pods, worms and snails.
Anyone interested in the grape calerpa? I'm just gonna toss it. Its in my qt tank right now. You pay the shipping, you can have it.
Also I need to evict at least one of my sand sifters. Don't want this addition to go for not. If my lfs would take it, anyone interested?

Put the grape in the main for the angel and tang. Why waste it, it's also loaded with pods.

Ya, but I don't want it taking off and spreading on me. For nutrient removal, I have the Chaetomorpha.
BTW sixline, you want a sandsifter. lol 8)

Cool Beans Qshark!! I am so excited for you. Post some more pics, when you add it to your system. :wink: HFY! (happy for you)

I put some calurpa in my tank and it totatlly took over. I just took all but 2 rocks out of my tank today to get rid of it. Good thing it was mostly lava rock I use as a base. I had a yallow tang for a couple of monthes but it didn't do much for keeping the calurpa under control. Congtats on all the cool stuff and definately get rid of the calurpa.

Oafboy182, thanks for the vindication. I have been going back and forth with this for a few days. Then it came in and looks so cool I almost added it.
It's in my qt and going out tomorrow. I don't need another problem in my tank.
Thanks again!!

O please, your fish will eat it. I added grape, and feather all to my tank, gone in days. Just plant it in the sand bed and watch your happy fish eat. BTW about the star... NO, NO, and NO. I like my pods, and worms. :mrgreen:

Well everthing is in. I was worried about the tang eating the macros. I should have been worried about this thief.
He's at is again, caught him carrying around my Shaving Brush this AM. 8O

Back
Top Bottom