CC and LS question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question about CC and sand. I have a 125 gallon SW with CC about 2" deep in most places. I have read good and bad things about CC in that it keeps the nitrates down and is a good filter BUT does trap things from time to time causing spikes. So far I have had really good luck with mine and feed VERY sparingly. I have 2 clowns, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 LM Blenny, and 1 yellow tailed damsel. I also have about 20 turbo snails and 12 hermits.
I was thinking about mixing CC and LS....what are your thoughts on this? And has anyone done this and to what degree of luck?
Thanks

A deep live sand bed would be the substrate that helps keep nitrates down. It provides a low oxygen environment for the bacteria to grown in that process nitrate into nitrogen gas. The only problem with mixing LS and CC is that the CC will almost always work its way to the surface, this can be unsightly to some, it doesn't really bother me that much.

I would put your CC in Nylon stockings, and start over with a new DSB. When you Put the DSB put the Nylon stocking full of your CC to "seed" your DSB, after a few weeks you can take out your CC. Your CC will let the debris build causing Nitrates

Back
Top Bottom