Celebrating Two Great Milestones!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am celebrating 2 great milestones.

1. I just ordered my first 40 lbs from LiveRocks.com ( I never thought I would be so excited about getting a bunch of rock in the mail! )

2. I have now officially spent over $1000.00 on my SW tank! ( I have also decided not to keep track of how much I spend from now on. :lol: )

So, Before My rock comes I have a few questions:

A. What should my water parameters be before the rock goes in the tank. (or does it matter.)

B. Should I go with a High Salinity Dip or a FW dip for my LR before placing it in the tank.

C. Can I place my clean-up crew in the tank along with The LR? and also, do I really need snails? ( I started this hobby as a FW fish Keeper and because of this I have a general dislike for snails.)

Thanks for your help! when I get the LR and place it in the tank I will post a review and some Pics!

Congrats!
Your water parameters should be close to NSW to preserve as much life on the rock as possible. Never do a FW dip unless you want dead rock. The high salinity dip may work to rid yourself of bad guys. I wouldn't add the clean up crew right away but I have never ordered from Liverocks so I'm not sure how big of a spike to expect. Forget about your FW days, you will learn to love snails, believe me.

You can just place it in your tank. I did a SW carbonated water dip before adding mine. It chased the crabs and pistol shrimp out. (I added them anyway, was really looking for mantis)
I had no ammonia spike at all, with overnight shipping there was little die off.
As for the snails, I would add them, they don't do any harm and much good.
Congrats!!!

1. I just ordered my first 40 lbs from LiveRocks.com ( I never thought I would be so excited about getting a bunch of rock in the mail! )

Great stuff. :mrgreen:

2. I have now officially spent over $1000.00 on my SW tank! ( I have also decided not to keep track of how much I spend from now on. )

I ain't even gonna go there, my wife likes to watch me type sometimes :roll: .

. What should my water parameters be before the rock goes in the tank. (or does it matter.)

Existing tank? or new setup? If it's an existing tank then they should be "normal" If it's new then I guess there should be no readings.

B. Should I go with a High Salinity Dip or a FW dip for my LR before placing it in the tank.

High sg here also, I lost less with the high sw than I did with fw dip. Found a big old crab in my tank a few days ago also, got him out tonight and dumped him in the sump where he can do no harm :twisted: .

C. Can I place my clean-up crew in the tank along with The LR? and also, do I really need snails? ( I started this hobby as a FW fish Keeper and because of this I have a general dislike for snails.)

I can understand the adversion to snails, however having had both fw and sw (and having my fw crash due to an over abundance of rams horns), you need the sw snails. They are a vital part of the "cleanup crew" and quite fun to watch at times. :mrgreen: .

As far as a spike I wouldn't expect much of one especilly if your tank is already established. Either way the clean up crew will take care of the stuff that dies off.

Back
Top Bottom